Blocks Task

haverstall
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Blocks Task

Post by haverstall »

I haven't read through the entire forum in a while, so I don't know if this question has been asked. If we stack the blocks, which leads to the next step, but also raise our "walls" so that the blocks become "self-supporting," is lifting the walls considered a "dead-end" path, because it doesn't lead to anything else?
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
Primate
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Primate »

haverstall wrote:I haven't read through the entire forum in a while, so I don't know if this question has been asked. If we stack the blocks, which leads to the next step, but also raise our "walls" so that the blocks become "self-supporting," is lifting the walls considered a "dead-end" path, because it doesn't lead to anything else?
Shouldn't be considered parallel tasks, because lifting the walls isn't on the task list. However, here's the potential problem: the stack must cause the next action, and the stack must not be supported by walls/strings. Therefore, if your stack triggers the next action while still supported by your walls, the task could be ruled incomplete.

It's such a judgement call, though. Most judges would probably accept the task even if you didn't raise the walls. (Make sure they're transparent, though.)
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

haverstall wrote:I haven't read through the entire forum in a while, so I don't know if this question has been asked. If we stack the blocks, which leads to the next step, but also raise our "walls" so that the blocks become "self-supporting," is lifting the walls considered a "dead-end" path, because it doesn't lead to anything else?
Hm. Well lifting the walls technically isn't a task in the rules, so I'd say you're fine. If it was in the rules, I'd consider it to be a dead-end. But it is my understanding that you can add some tasks of your own in between "official tasks"to get them all running. I wouldn't totally rely on my word for this, though. I may be wrong...
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
nationalsapipedream
State: TX

Post by nationalsapipedream »

Primate wrote:Use a piece of nichrome to burn through monofilament--same concept as one of the required tasks last year. You really shouldn't need to, though; most judges will count it as long as, if you were to cut the string, the blocks would still be stacked.
So in your device are you saying you could suspend the blocks so they are hanging vertically but say half a centimeter apart and have them suspended by string from the one above so it looks like an accordian sort of.... I don't know how to describe it. And then have the top block be suspended to a frame and melt the top string allowing all to fall and "stack"?

Return to “Mission Possible C”