Blocks Task

Xenarian
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Blocks Task

Post by Xenarian »

Yeah, I'm using a cage sort of thing with blocks on the inside, and pulling it up with a geared motor and string with pulley. I strategically placed some copper tape to connect them all together when the cage falls into upright position. The tricky part was getting the blocks to not entirely stack until they were self-supporting. That's a trade secret.
Events:
Write it/do it (1st place at state, 2009)
Mission Possible
It's About Time
Picture This
Physics Lab
Experimental Design
Optics
Technical Problem Solving
Robot Ramble
questionguy
State: VA

Post by questionguy »

On the TSL sample list it states, "Switch turns on motor, pulling pins from beneath stack of wood blocks". Does that mean, that we can have the stack of blocks together and just elevated and then drop them onto something? I submitted a clarification and am still waiting for a response.
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

questionguy wrote:On the TSL sample list it states, "Switch turns on motor, pulling pins from beneath stack of wood blocks". Does that mean, that we can have the stack of blocks together and just elevated and then drop them onto something? I submitted a clarification and am still waiting for a response.
Note that the sample TSL you quoted states that there are "pins" within the stack. The blocks cannot be touching each other at all--the rules clearly state this--so no, you can't simply drop a prestacked blocks. If you had pins between each block, however, that would be perfectly legal.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
sj
State: NJ

Post by sj »

So just to confirm we are allowed to have string in between the blocks so long as each block supports the blocks above it?
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th
WWP SOUTH 3rd At NATS!!!!!

2012 Events: Robot Arm, Towers, Gravity Vehicle
questionguy

Post by questionguy »

sj wrote:So just to confirm we are allowed to have string in between the blocks so long as each block supports the blocks above it?
I think so, if you can have "holes drilled in them or have other, non wooden, materials fixed onto them", you should be able to put a string through all of them.
elmono

Post by elmono »

Are we allowed to have the blocks fall down one by one but on the last block is a mass that falls on a mousetrap causing the next reaction. Technically the stacking of the blocks causes the mass to fall triggering the next reaction.
ichaelm
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by ichaelm »

elmono wrote:Are we allowed to have the blocks fall down one by one but on the last block is a mass that falls on a mousetrap causing the next reaction. Technically the stacking of the blocks causes the mass to fall triggering the next reaction.
All the blocks need to stack. So if the 5th block does not fall on the 4th block, or the 4th block does not completely support the weight of the 5th block, then no, that would not count.
engineeringmaniac
State: WY

Post by engineeringmaniac »

I just thought of an idea.
You could have walls up and have the first four blocks slide into it, but the fith block would have a top that was a little wider then its base (such that the sides of the block form an angle) and the last block is heavier then the other blocks. This way, when the last block falls onto the stack, it pushes down the walls and thus leaves the stack free standing. The walls can cause the next action.
State 2010:
Wright stuff- 1st
JYC - 1st
Experimental Design - 1st
Bridge - damaged before competition :(
Nationals 2010:
.... Well we had fun
paronomasia
State: AZ

Post by paronomasia »

engineeringmaniac wrote:The walls can cause the next action.
But..but.. the STACK has to cause the action. And it's only the last block that's causing the walls to move, so that's still not the stack making anything happen.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Will the last block push the walls inwards (towards the stack) or out?
lonestar
State: TX

Post by lonestar »

sj wrote:So just to confirm we are allowed to have string in between the blocks so long as each block supports the blocks above it?
Et voila! Clarification:
Q:
Can the blocks be suspended by strings in a string-block-string-block chain
where the top string is cut/released and once stacked there is still string
in between the blocks?
A:
There is nothing in the rules to disallow this, but keep in mind that the
blocks must completely support the blocks stacked on top of each one.

Return to “Mission Possible C”