Sand Timer Task

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sand Timer Task

Post by fleet130 »

NikitaB wrote:Do you think that fine materials other than sand are allowed?
We went through much the same thing with "marbles" a few years ago. The "Duck" test is a good way to determine if it should/would be allowed. Show some of the material to someone and ask them what it is. If they say "sand" it's allowed. Any other response leaves doubt.

The Duck Test: If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck! (Names have been changed to prevent censoring)
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
Uncle Fester
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

When the rules were written, it was decided that since they wanted everyone to use sand, the best-fitting word that meant the same thing as "sand" just happened to be "sand". Only later did someone discover the amazing coincidence that sand timers actually had sand in them.

I check for sand. No points if I find sugar, dirt, plastic, teeth, marbles, etc.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!
courage7856
State: IL

Post by courage7856 »

Uncle Fester wrote:When the rules were written, it was decided that since they wanted everyone to use sand, the best-fitting word that meant the same thing as "sand" just happened to be "sand". Only later did someone discover the amazing coincidence that sand timers actually had sand in them.

I check for sand. No points if I find sugar, dirt, plastic, teeth, marbles, etc.
How do you feel about things other than sand getting mixed in? The best sand we could find at this time of the year was rainbow sand, the kinds kids use for making sand art. Also, when we clean things up, we've gotten all kinds of small debris mixed in. Nothing large or quite like teeth (teeth? You've seen teeth?), but glitter and dust and maybe a few particles of dirt and stuff. Is that allowed?
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

My kids have an equally hard time keeping all kinds of crap out of their sand. Nothing to worry about. There's a pretty solid line between that and someone deliberately using something other than sand.

DeltaHat

Post by DeltaHat »

Sand is sand. Acting in Bad Faith is what gets people penalized in Mission Possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_faith
National Event Supervisor - Mission Possible
Narulay
Division: C
State: KY

Post by Narulay »

Hmm...in regards to electricity...

What if I'm using the sand timer to break an electric current? The electricity wouldn't be contributing to the initiation of the next task if all I'm doing is eliminating it from the next task, right?
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

It'll be contributing by turning something off. Sand timer's running and electricity is being used. No room whatsoever for any kind of dispute. Don't do it.

Danny Smith
State: OH

Post by Danny Smith »

In my contraption, I have a step that goes from a sand timer, which runs for approximately 45 seconds, to a mousetrap. I have not been able to find a reliable way to accomplish this though. I have tried making quarters be knocked by sand onto the trap, but when the sand falls, it gets underneath the switch, not allowing it to compress. Any ideas on a simple, small action to bridge the gap between sand and mousetrap?
courage7856
State: IL

Post by courage7856 »

Danny Smith wrote:In my contraption, I have a step that goes from a sand timer, which runs for approximately 45 seconds, to a mousetrap. I have not been able to find a reliable way to accomplish this though. I have tried making quarters be knocked by sand onto the trap, but when the sand falls, it gets underneath the switch, not allowing it to compress. Any ideas on a simple, small action to bridge the gap between sand and mousetrap?
I'm not sure I understand you. The rules say that the mousetrap starting with a quarter has to be the first task (it doesn't HAVE to, but you'll get a hefty penalty). Therefore, you should probably be using your mousetrap to start your sand timer (or another first task).
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
Danny Smith
State: OH

Post by Danny Smith »

courage7856 wrote:
Danny Smith wrote:In my contraption, I have a step that goes from a sand timer, which runs for approximately 45 seconds, to a mousetrap. I have not been able to find a reliable way to accomplish this though. I have tried making quarters be knocked by sand onto the trap, but when the sand falls, it gets underneath the switch, not allowing it to compress. Any ideas on a simple, small action to bridge the gap between sand and mousetrap?
I'm not sure I understand you. The rules say that the mousetrap starting with a quarter has to be the first task (it doesn't HAVE to, but you'll get a hefty penalty). Therefore, you should probably be using your mousetrap to start your sand timer (or another first task).
This is a second, different mousetrap. The mousetrap being set off does not score points. but the mousetrap is needed to pull a stiff pin to drop a heavy weight...so on. I may need to change more than just the connecting action, but if there was an easy enough way, it'd be really convenient.

Return to “Mission Possible C”