Sign Task

jsorrell414
Division: C
State: AZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sign Task

Post by jsorrell414 »

What do you think is the definition of hanging from the bottom of the balloon? Just as an example, do you think that a string attached to the bottom of a balloon pulling up the sign via a pair pulleys would count as the sign hanging from the bottom of the balloon?
State 2011: Mission Possible: 2 :), Ornithology 2 :), Sumo Bots: 1 :), Remote Sensing: 13 :(
Nationals 2011: Mission Possible 2 :), Ornithology :(, Sumo Bots :(
State 2012: Fermi Questions 1, Gravity Vehicle 1, Remote Sensing 2, Math Apps (AZ Only) 5
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

No.
Primate

Post by Primate »

jsorrell414 wrote:What do you think is the definition of hanging from the bottom of the balloon? Just as an example, do you think that a string attached to the bottom of a balloon pulling up the sign via a pair pulleys would count as the sign hanging from the bottom of the balloon?
That would seriously violate the "spirit of the competition." And good luck getting that sign over the top of your device; you'd never be able to if pulleys were involved.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
tjessberger
State: OH

Post by tjessberger »

I placed first out our (relatively non-competitive) regional competition yesterday (Grandview Heights Regional). We completed three total tasks. The start task, the sand timer, and the final task (with the balloon carrying 13 grams worth of sign). We had full ideal time, and the sand timer ran for 59 of those sixty seconds (and full TSL points). Other groups had full TSLs, but the proctors said our strategy absolutely own them. We ended up winning by 30 points I think? We're doing full tasks for states though, we had two devices built.
bwy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by bwy »

tjessberger wrote:I placed first out our (relatively non-competitive) regional competition yesterday (Grandview Heights Regional). We completed three total tasks. The start task, the sand timer, and the final task (with the balloon carrying 13 grams worth of sign). We had full ideal time, and the sand timer ran for 59 of those sixty seconds (and full TSL points). Other groups had full TSLs, but the proctors said our strategy absolutely own them. We ended up winning by 30 points I think? We're doing full tasks for states though, we had two devices built.
I'm happy for you that your competitions are so easy :)
That's something I was considering doing, and I thought it was a genius idea, but I just realized my region/state is probably too competitive (southern California) to make it work. Did your sand timer and mousetrap really take up so much space you couldn't use a bigger balloon to lift more weight? I was hoping that by minimizing everything else (and having a 48 cm balloon) I could fit a balloon big enough to lift at least 40 grams. By doing that, you could probably get up to 1360 points (with an ideal time of 90 seconds), which sounds pretty decent to me.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

What, are you going to make your box out of paper? You need a box, or the balloon would wobble and you'd go in the 2nd tier. And where did you plan on finding a 48 cm balloon, anyway?
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

An 18" balloon is 45.7 cm. Those are actually some of the more common sizes of helium balloons. Just google it, or search it on amazon.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Will an 18" latex lift 40 g? I know an 18" mylar lifts more like 5 g.
buzzbuzz
State: KS

Post by buzzbuzz »

Flavorflav wrote:Will an 18" latex lift 40 g? I know an 18" mylar lifts more like 5 g.
I don't see any way to lift 40 g with a balloon that size. The best I've gotten with a 20'' latex was around 15 g.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

So do you seem to be getting better results with a latex balloon?

Return to “Mission Possible C”