Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Wedge Task

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for the Wedge task.
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
Lieficheep
Division: C
State: KY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wedge Task

Post by Lieficheep »

Hi, I'm new to science olympiad, but I had a question about task 3b, do the two objects HAVE to be two different objects, or could it do something else, like cut a string, for instance?
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

Lieficheep wrote:Hi, I'm new to science olympiad, but I had a question about task 3b, do the two objects HAVE to be two different objects, or could it do something else, like cut a string, for instance?
The rules clearly state that you must push the wedge between two objects. I'd take that to mean two distinct objects. They could be identical (a pair of wooden blocks, or something), but a string would definitely only count as one object.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
Lieficheep

Post by Lieficheep »

Hmm... this task might be a bit harder than I thought... thanks
I was going to use it to cut a string at the end to allow the balloon to rise :lol:
Primate

Post by Primate »

Lieficheep wrote:Hmm... this task might be a bit harder than I thought... thanks
I was going to use it to cut a string at the end to allow the balloon to rise :lol:
I'd personally skip it entirely--since you can only do eight tasks, why bother with the twenty point ones, especially if they give you trouble? :P
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
Lieficheep

Post by Lieficheep »

Primate wrote:
Lieficheep wrote:Hmm... this task might be a bit harder than I thought... thanks
I'd personally skip it entirely--since you can only do eight tasks, why bother with the twenty point ones, especially if they give you trouble? :P
:lol: I guess I need to read the rules more thoroughly... this means I can skip 4 extra tasks.... 20 points, out :lol:
questionguy
State: VA

Post by questionguy »

If I have a marble on top of two pieces of wood that are touching each other, and I use a wedge to move one of the pieces of wood to the side allowing the marble to fall, would that count as separating the two objects?
JTMess

Post by JTMess »

questionguy wrote:If I have a marble on top of two pieces of wood that are touching each other, and I use a wedge to move one of the pieces of wood to the side allowing the marble to fall, would that count as separating the two objects?
That would count to my understanding as long as both pieces of wood are distinctly being moved so the wedge is seperating two objects.
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st
Uncle Fester
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

"To the side"? Sounds like something to see before deciding. I don't insist that both pieces move, but taht wedge had better be between them.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Okay, so BOTH pieces would physically have to move? The rules say that we just need to separate the objects. Both don't have to move right?

Return to “Mission Possible C”