Tasks & Scoring

questionguy
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tasks & Scoring

Post by questionguy »

For the ideal time at states, do they just announce it to you at impound?
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

questionguy wrote:For the ideal time at states, do they just announce it to you at impound?
Depends on how impound is run. Sometimes you'll actually find out after everyone's impounded, so that teams can only adjust their devices during the 30min setup time. (At the NYS tournament last year, however, impound and set-up actually occurred the night before competition, so obviously the time was announced right then and there.)
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
sj
State: NJ

Post by sj »

Wait people had to set up their devices the night before and leave them ready to run over night? Our device would fail miserably if we had to do that.
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th
WWP SOUTH 3rd At NATS!!!!!

2012 Events: Robot Arm, Towers, Gravity Vehicle
bwy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by bwy »

Paradox21 wrote:
bwy wrote:I'm trying to calculate the maximum possible score people can get for this event: assuming someone gets points for 6a-6f and 6l, they get 500 points. If they do the top 7-scoring tasks besides the sand timer, they get 300. They can get 180 points for having their device operate 90 seconds, the maximum ideal time allowed at states. They get 100 points for the sand timer, and the two variables are the time the sand timer runs and the mass of the sign.
So the maximum is about 1080, plus about 100 for the sign if it weighs 10 g and 90 for the sand timer if it runs 45 seconds, which adds up to 1270?
Does anyone score higher than that at competitions? Sorry for the long post, but this is my first year for the event.

Basically, I just want to know what scores to expect to medal at the state competition.
The nice thing about Mission is that there is no perfect score this year (which is a very good thing). Nevertheless, there will probably be a pretty good cluster of teams at the top for nats this year.

In your scoring you only accounted for a 45 second sand timer, a competitive sand timer will run for 89 seconds or so. The determining factor to put you on top of other really competitive devices is going to be your sign mass, your sand timer time, and the time it takes your 9 non-sand-timer tasks. Naturally, you want to maximize the first 2, and minimize the latter. Additionally, a good score will depend on the ideal time. A 60 second ideal time means you have 60 fewer points to be scored than a 90 second ideal time.

At my State Tournament, with an ideal time somewhere in the 80's (I don't remember the exact time), I calculated our score to be approximately 1350 points (we were never told our official raw score).
Thanks, that all makes sense. Those are pretty much the same conclusion I came up with.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you place at states with 1350 points (and ideal time in the 80s)?
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by Paradox21 »

bwy wrote:
Paradox21 wrote:
bwy wrote:I'm trying to calculate the maximum possible score people can get for this event: assuming someone gets points for 6a-6f and 6l, they get 500 points. If they do the top 7-scoring tasks besides the sand timer, they get 300. They can get 180 points for having their device operate 90 seconds, the maximum ideal time allowed at states. They get 100 points for the sand timer, and the two variables are the time the sand timer runs and the mass of the sign.
So the maximum is about 1080, plus about 100 for the sign if it weighs 10 g and 90 for the sand timer if it runs 45 seconds, which adds up to 1270?
Does anyone score higher than that at competitions? Sorry for the long post, but this is my first year for the event.

Basically, I just want to know what scores to expect to medal at the state competition.
The nice thing about Mission is that there is no perfect score this year (which is a very good thing). Nevertheless, there will probably be a pretty good cluster of teams at the top for nats this year.

In your scoring you only accounted for a 45 second sand timer, a competitive sand timer will run for 89 seconds or so. The determining factor to put you on top of other really competitive devices is going to be your sign mass, your sand timer time, and the time it takes your 9 non-sand-timer tasks. Naturally, you want to maximize the first 2, and minimize the latter. Additionally, a good score will depend on the ideal time. A 60 second ideal time means you have 60 fewer points to be scored than a 90 second ideal time.

At my State Tournament, with an ideal time somewhere in the 80's (I don't remember the exact time), I calculated our score to be approximately 1350 points (we were never told our official raw score).
Thanks, that all makes sense. Those are pretty much the same conclusion I came up with.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you place at states with 1350 points (and ideal time in the 80s)?
Well, it's all relative. A score in one state may not hold up in another. In Minnesota, it got 1st. I have no idea what the 2nd place team's score was.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
Primate

Post by Primate »

sj wrote:Wait people had to set up their devices the night before and leave them ready to run over night? Our device would fail miserably if we had to do that.
Yep >.<. You had a few more minutes the next day to hook batteries and stuff up, though.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Enough to inflate a balloon, you think?
courage7856
State: IL

Post by courage7856 »

The other thing that worries me about that setup is the potential for something to happen to the reaction in a balloon. It wouldn't take much for another team to set ours off if they hit it, even if they didn't notice as they were walking way to close to the device or moved it to the side a little. Anyone else think that?
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
tjessberger
State: OH

Post by tjessberger »

Hey Guys,

I'm working on some modifications for the Ohio State Tournament on April 30th. I was wondering what type of point totals I should be aiming for. My MP device will be able to achieve ~1070 total points right now under the 90 second ideal time for states. What should I be aiming for? I placed first at the Grandview Heights in MP, and am making some modifications with the sand to go along with the 30 second time increase. Ohio is insanely competitive at states (ie Solon, Chardon, Mentor, Centerville).

Thanks!
sj
State: NJ

Post by sj »

What do you guys think the top missions at nationals will score?

Im assuming all the highest tasks, but how long should they take.

Also how much mass should we be lifting?
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th
WWP SOUTH 3rd At NATS!!!!!

2012 Events: Robot Arm, Towers, Gravity Vehicle

Return to “Mission Possible C”