Scoring

JTMess
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Scoring

Post by JTMess »

Our team is attempting to complete both of the 50 point tasks, however there is a semi-high rate of failure. We were wondering if we can build a couple of 20 point tasks into the MP and make a spare TSL in case the 50 point tasks malfunction. If we were to decide on the day of regionals to use the 20 point tasks, would there be points deducted for having more than eight deveices?
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st
questionguy
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Scoring

Post by questionguy »

JTMess wrote:Our team is attempting to complete both of the 50 point tasks, however there is a semi-high rate of failure. We were wondering if we can build a couple of 20 point tasks into the MP and make a spare TSL in case the 50 point tasks malfunction. If we were to decide on the day of regionals to use the 20 point tasks, would there be points deducted for having more than eight deveices?
I don't think there would be, as long as you don't mention the two 50 point tasks in your TSL.
Uncle Fester
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. You can't have a few extra tasks to replace what didn't work-- you have to stake your bets on what 10 will work BEFORE your run, in fact, before your task list is due.

However, if you built, say, twelve tasks and selected what ten ran via (for example) toggle switches, and had all your paper work accurately reflecting your selections, that's okay since the two unused tasks could be considered "decoration". I've seen a large number of these over the years. Don't know if others have seen the same stuff. Again, use of this method depends on how late you can modify paperwork. My tournaments, for example, has lists due end-of-impound, so if something didn't work, you'd know by them. My running things that way is NOT accidental, BTW.

Beware of the penalty for having paperwork that doesn't reflect device's operation.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!
elmono

Post by elmono »

questionguy wrote:
JTMess wrote:Our team is attempting to complete both of the 50 point tasks, however there is a semi-high rate of failure. We were wondering if we can build a couple of 20 point tasks into the MP and make a spare TSL in case the 50 point tasks malfunction. If we were to decide on the day of regionals to use the 20 point tasks, would there be points deducted for having more than eight deveices?
I don't think there would be, as long as you don't mention the two 50 point tasks in your TSL.
Question guy I do not understand what you are trying to do here. If you can have more than 7 tasks but only 7 of them are actually scored. Please read the TSL more thoroughly and carefully next time.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

He's just trying to hedge against it not working, I think - he wants to know if he has to rip nonfunctional tasks out entirely, or if he can have some half-built stuff in his box that doesn't score, which Uncle Fester already answered.
questionguy

Post by questionguy »

I am using a moving car to pull a string, starting the sand timer. If I were to push the car forward, allowing the string to come out, would I not get points for the moving air task, the sand timer task, or both?
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

questionguy wrote:I am using a moving car to pull a string, starting the sand timer. If I were to push the car forward, allowing the string to come out, would I not get points for the moving air task, the sand timer task, or both?
Let me see if I understand you. You intend to move a car with a fan, and have the car start the sand timer, but you are afraid it won't work and are asking what the penalty would be for manually starting the sand timer by pushing the car with your hand? If that is what you are trying to say, then per rule 5e you would lose the points for the car, because that is the task that did not get completed, plus a 15 point touch penalty.
questionguy

Post by questionguy »

Flavorflav wrote:
questionguy wrote:I am using a moving car to pull a string, starting the sand timer. If I were to push the car forward, allowing the string to come out, would I not get points for the moving air task, the sand timer task, or both?
Let me see if I understand you. You intend to move a car with a fan, and have the car start the sand timer, but you are afraid it won't work and are asking what the penalty would be for manually starting the sand timer by pushing the car with your hand? If that is what you are trying to say, then per rule 5e you would lose the points for the car, because that is the task that did not get completed, plus a 15 point touch penalty.
Would I still get the points for the sand timer?
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

questionguy wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:
Would I still get the points for the sand timer?
So long as the sand timer actuates whatever it is intended to actuate, then yes. Task points are not awarded for starting a task, but for completing it, so you lose the points for the task that failed to complete - at least, that is my understanding. There are some on this board with a great deal more experience than I.

Return to “Mission Possible C”