Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2011-2012 Rules

Post by mnstrviola »

It was at norcal. Hmm, I gues maybe it was a trial event for division A?

-back on topic, what do you think they will change when this becomes a division B?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

aubrey048 wrote:
Mission Possible was NOT an event at AL state division A. I am certain because I was there.
There are TONS of available Division A events. Each tournament picks whichever ones they want to run. It's a lot different than B/C division. Quoting from: http://soinc.org/competitive_tournaments
"Of the nearly 100 events in the ESO tournament manual, most schools generally choose between 10 and 16 for a standard, day-long tournament. "

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

One suggestion that might increase participation in MP: I noticed from my own experience that there is a very large 'start up' cost for Mission Possible. The first year I did Mission Possible, I spent a couple hundred dollars to make a device that would perform all the tasks without any touches, and I did this all while being pretty thrifty. I would imagine that most other schools with 'perfect' runs probably spent even more that year. However, this year I was able to achieve the same level of success while only spending $20 or $30. The reason it was so much cheaper this year was that I was able to use things from my old device to make the new one. My biggest expenses the first year were the construction of the box for my device, (rechargeable) batteries, battery holders, and motors. I did not have to spend any money on that stuff this year because I kept it from the previous year. I was even able to use the same bag of balloons from the balloon popping task of last year for this year's balloon inflation task.

I know that SO is always trying to figure out how to keep the building events cheap, and I suspect that it is pretty universal that MP is cheaper after the 1st year, so maybe it would be worthwhile to put it on a 3 year rotation, rather than a 2 year rotation. Then teams would get 2 cheap years for the price of 1.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

It was my first year doing Mission, but I'm kind of an engineering nerd so I already had many of the supplies. Anyways, except for the few electrical components (motors, switches) almost everything could be found around the house. Heck, even the motors and switches could be taken out of some old toys. But paradox's point is true. Mission requires a diverse array of materials, so if the team buys them once, they can use them for the (hopefully) 3 continuous years of Mission Possible.
jarrred_1415

Post by jarrred_1415 »

illusionist wrote:It was my first year doing Mission, but I'm kind of an engineering nerd so I already had many of the supplies. Anyways, except for the few electrical components (motors, switches) almost everything could be found around the house. Heck, even the motors and switches could be taken out of some old toys. But paradox's point is true. Mission requires a diverse array of materials, so if the team buys them once, they can use them for the (hopefully) 3 continuous years of Mission Possible.
i agree completely, i stripped down an old mission for parts and tore apart a couple toys that had motors in them. without doing this i could have easily spent upwards of 300$ on all new stuff but i built a "no-touch" mission for right around $50.
questionguy
State: VA

Post by questionguy »

Yea, last year when I did MP I spent a good amount of money. This year most of our costs came from just buying new batteries and mousetraps because our team was able to use supplies from last year,including the box and we were able to build an almost perfect device (one touch).
tjessberger

Post by tjessberger »

Guys,

Be careful. The school running the event at Ohio's State Competition tiered me. My box was exactly 49x49x79cm. They tiered me because my box's orientation was vertical and "apparently" that is against the rules. We argued and they upheld it. Such bull. What a good end to my senior year.

Tim
chalker

Post by chalker »

tjessberger wrote:Guys,

Be careful. The school running the event at Ohio's State Competition tiered me. My box was exactly 49x49x79cm. They tiered me because my box's orientation was vertical and "apparently" that is against the rules. We argued and they upheld it. Such bull. What a good end to my senior year.

Tim
Why didn't you submit an official appeal? That's the reason we have arbitration and can often rectify different interpretations of the rules.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
ptkid
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

How will the rules for Food Science be like next year? :?: :?:
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Uhhhh, wrong thread bro. Might want to ask that question in this thread instead: http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... 90#p165590

Return to “Mission Possible C”