What to impound?

ericbro
Division: C
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What to impound?

Post by ericbro »

Do we need to impound the baloon? Helium? Our device uses ice water. Does that need to be impounded?
courage7856
Division: Grad
State: IL

Re: What to impound?

Post by courage7856 »

Anything and everything you plan on using has to be impounded. Everything. My team and I have a shoebox that we put in everything we might need, like extra vinegar and baking soda, clothespins and paperclips to modify weights, and extra balloons.
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

^
That's exactly what we did too. Absolutely EVERY single item was impounded with the device, in two shoeboxes. For your ice water, you could put them in an insulator or something to keep them cold, and also impound that.
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

illusionist wrote:^
That's exactly what we did too. Absolutely EVERY single item was impounded with the device, in two shoeboxes. For your ice water, you could put them in an insulator or something to keep them cold, and also impound that.
If the competition is an overnight impound, like the NY state competition, ice water is just asking for trouble. Have you looked at the temperature task thread?

Beg for an early time, otherwise.
Last edited by Primate on March 30th, 2011, 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

Primate wrote:
If the competition is an overnight impound, like the NY state competition, ice water is just asking for trouble. Have you looked at the temperature task thread?
There are overnight impounds? Ours'll usually just have us turn in our items by 9:30. How odd.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
Primate

Post by Primate »

aubrey048 wrote:
Primate wrote:
There are overnight impounds? Ours'll usually just have us turn in our items by 9:30. How odd.
Yeah, having fifty teams trying to impound things on Saturday morning is a huge hassle, so we have a few hours on Friday to drop stuff off. It's no big deal for most events, but it's a huge problem for many teams in regards to Mission. The 30 minutes of set-up is actually during impound, which is at least 16 hours before the devices are run.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

The early impound I can understand, but including the set up time in the impound?!?!?!? In my opinion, that's absurd. Teams are almost disabled from using anything cold to do the temperature task...
Primate

Post by Primate »

illusionist wrote:The early impound I can understand, but including the set up time in the impound?!?!?!? In my opinion, that's absurd. Teams are almost disabled from using anything cold to do the temperature task...
Exactly. Prior competitors in NY know enough now to design devices that can last for half a day, but it's often disastrous for newcomer (read: everyone last year). I suppose you could use an instant cold pack and set it up the following day (you get another few minutes), but you're out of luck if with ice water.

Battery-powered minifridges, anyone?
sj
State: NJ

Post by sj »

Or use a cooler Full of ice...

Some melts by the next day and... INSTANT ICE WATER!!!! :D

Our cooler keeps our ice unmelted for 3 - 4 days.
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th
WWP SOUTH 3rd At NATS!!!!!

2012 Events: Robot Arm, Towers, Gravity Vehicle
lllazar
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

I was just going to suggest that SJ^
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?

Return to “Mission Possible C”