Your Transportation?

Quark
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Your Transportation?

Post by Quark »

Cypressfalls_Robert might be aware of this, but we (at LASA and Kealing), have generally taken a bus. Since I've been around, both have made it to nationals, so we'd share a bus (half for each school). A few people who need to leave later for whatever reason or who don't fit may fly. Also, we flew to GW, as that would be a really unpleasant bus ride (24 hours according to Google Maps, compared to 15-18 for Bloomington, Urbana-Champaign, and Augusta). The trips under 20 hours work out to about one day, a night, and then waking up near the destination. On the bus, you have time to study. And you pretty much have to study (there isn't much else to do). Definitely good for getting stuff done, plus busses (especially when split two ways) are a lot cheaper.
LASA.
Sir_L_Jenkins
Division: C
State: IN

Post by Sir_L_Jenkins »

Quark wrote:Cypressfalls_Robert might be aware of this, but we (at LASA and Kealing), have generally taken a bus. Since I've been around, both have made it to nationals, so we'd share a bus (half for each school). A few people who need to leave later for whatever reason or who don't fit may fly. Also, we flew to GW, as that would be a really unpleasant bus ride (24 hours according to Google Maps, compared to 15-18 for Bloomington, Urbana-Champaign, and Augusta). The trips under 20 hours work out to about one day, a night, and then waking up near the destination. On the bus, you have time to study. And you pretty much have to study (there isn't much else to do). Definitely good for getting stuff done, plus busses (especially when split two ways) are a lot cheaper.
The one problem with buses, if you're concerned about money, is the driver. Essentially you have to pay for the driver's services plus his lodging and everything for how ever many days you're out. We found that renting 2-3 large vans is substantially cheaper as an alternative, especially if you can get the rental company to give you a discount as a donation to the team.
*Ahem*
Mentlegen.
srsvball95
Division: Grad

Post by srsvball95 »

We're flying because a bus would cost about the same as flying apparently. We're going to fly with our principal and our coach is going to probably drive up the trailer
Seven Lakes High School Class of 2014
Beckendorff Alumni
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

We're flying if we make it.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
AustinRHL
State: NM

Post by AustinRHL »

Access to Champaign from Albuquerque by plane is less than stellar, and a bus ride would be far too long, so we're flying to Chicago (Midway) and then getting a bus to the university. So I guess the answer to the first post's question is "both."
Albuquerque Academy '10, University of Chicago '14
State: Chemistry Lab 1st, Cell Biology 1st, Ecology 1st, Environmental Chemistry 2nd
Nationals: Chemistry Lab 32nd, Cell Biology 4th, Environmental Chemistry 5th, Forensics 37th
It's hard to accept that for me, there isn't a next year.
cypressfalls Robert
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

cypressfalls Robert wrote:Who's flying and who's riding a bus, last year we took a bu 17 hours to georgia...it was a pain, this year we will fly, I hope we make it!!!!

...and you?
we didn't make it :cry:
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

We flew.
And I'm very sorry for you, Cybert and zz.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

Return to “2010 Nationals”