Division: Grad
State: ME
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anyone Medal at Nationals?

Post by starpug »

3nv1r0nm3ntal_ch3m wrote:
starpug wrote:
sciolykid101 wrote: Just cause you're the State champions doesn't mean that you are going to medal. I got 2nd in Anatomy at States and got 4th at Nationals back in '08.
I got a gold medal at states here in Egg-o-naut and Chem Lab, at nationals those were my two worst placings (I got a 15th in Env. Chem, my worst event at states). Although I AM from Maine, so think what you will.
Good job, I didn't do very well in egg-o-naut, and my team didn't go to nationals. what did you get at nationals?
56th, I was picking up 25+ second times consistently immediately before nats, then I decided to make some changes to my nose cone and bottle design because I wasn't satisfied with that. I had no time to test these changes and found out at nationals that they didn't work as planned.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m
Division: C
State: VA

Post by 3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m »

Oh well, I commend you for your efforts though, and it is too bad that they didn't pay off in the end. I'm sorry that you wont be able to try the designs out net year... good luck in your other events next year!
bubblebrian
Division: B
State: WI

Post by bubblebrian »

gneissisnice wrote:
sciolykid101 wrote:
sciolyandmathcounts wrote:11th Compute This, 18th Can't Judge, 22nd Road Scholar.

At least all my events did better than the team ranking.

I failed Can't Judge even though we were state champions......blah.
Just cause you're the State champions doesn't mean that you are going to medal. I got 2nd in Anatomy at States and got 4th at Nationals back in '08.
Yeah, back when I was in 9th grade, my partner and I got 3rd in Can't Judge a Powder at States. At Nationals, we got 51st =/. Same with WIDI, the girls who did it did well at States and got 59th at Nationals.
We got fifth in WIDI at nationals, but we got 27th (out of 35) at state and 6 (out of 9) at regionals. An improvement, at least
Wisconsin Hamilton MS!!!
Regionals- first on BP, DD, weather

State-
Bio-process- Sixth
Disease detectives- Third
meteorology- first
PT- eleventh
ED- fourth
team- first

Nationals-
Meteorology: Third!!!
Bio-process lab- ninth
Disease Detectives: Twelfth
Experimental Design- Eighteenth
PT: 34
melody2k6

Post by melody2k6 »

We were State Champions for Can't Judge A Powder and nine points ahead of second place and we got 59th for Nationals. Nobody is sure how we did it, but I think we set a record.
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

melody2k6 wrote:We were State Champions for Can't Judge A Powder and nine points ahead of second place and we got 59th for Nationals. Nobody is sure how we did it, but I think we set a record.
Darn, you even beat me.
For CJAP for me, states was the standard fare; H2O, HCl, and NaOH. Nationals, on the other hand, had those three plus Phenolphthalein, Bromothymyl Blue, and one other (Benedict's? I dont remember). We managed the first three and were halfway through phenolphthalein when time was called. Every question was on the last three that we didn't get to test.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by starpug »

gneissisnice wrote:
melody2k6 wrote:We were State Champions for Can't Judge A Powder and nine points ahead of second place and we got 59th for Nationals. Nobody is sure how we did it, but I think we set a record.
Darn, you even beat me.
For CJAP for me, states was the standard fare; H2O, HCl, and NaOH. Nationals, on the other hand, had those three plus Phenolphthalein, Bromothymyl Blue, and one other (Benedict's? I dont remember). We managed the first three and were halfway through phenolphthalein when time was called. Every question was on the last three that we didn't get to test.
At nationals time is always an issue, my partners and I didn't finish the Forensics nor the Chem Lab tests and came down to the wire on the Env. Chem test and didn't finish the tie breaker. Heck, in Traj I barely had enough time to get all 4 shots off even without aiming.
3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m
Division: C
State: VA

Post by 3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m »

starpug wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:
Darn, you even beat me.
At nationals time is always an issue, my partners and I didn't finish the Forensics nor the Chem Lab tests and came down to the wire on the Env. Chem test and didn't finish the tie breaker. Heck, in Traj I barely had enough time to get all 4 shots off even without aiming.
what place did you get in environmental chem at states? I got 2nd and I did it all by myself
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by starpug »

3nv1r0nm3ntal_ch3m wrote:
starpug wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:
Darn, you even beat me.
what place did you get in environmental chem at states? I got 2nd and I did it all by myself
5th
melody2k6

Post by melody2k6 »

gneissisnice wrote:
Darn, you even beat me.
You guys got 60th? When was this? I don't remember these things being on the test this year. The exact same thing happened to us. We missed almost every question except for a few.
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

melody2k6 wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:
Darn, you even beat me.
You guys got 60th? When was this? I don't remember these things being on the test this year. The exact same thing happened to us. We missed almost every question except for a few.
By that, I meant you beat me by having a bigger gap from States to Nats (1st to 59th for you, 3rd to 51st for me). I did it back when I was in 8th grade, so 5 or 6 years ago. The year after, the event was much much easier; too easy for Nats, actually. It was just the basic three reagents. We got 21st that time. Then the event was dropped and didn't come back until this year.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Return to “2010 Nationals”