Microbe Mission B/C

alexxela
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by alexxela »

Starapollo1 wrote:You know what the irony is... we didn't get asked ANYTHING on bacterial shapes or gram staining. Isn't that ridiculous!!! unless... you don't think they switched our tests do you? I mean, if you had gram staining, and bacterial shapes which is in the division C... and we had everything that was technically in the division B rules... UGH! that would be sooo dumb!!! That better not have happened!
That could be true... There was only about one question about each of those though and I thought there would be more than that on the division c; I wouldnt put anything past that organizer though. And you want to know what irony is? I am typing while I am in biology class learning about a chapter that I studied for this event :P
Regionals, State 2012
Microbe: 2, --
Fermi: 2, 2
Ex Des: 1, 3
Chem Lab: --, 6
Overall: 1, 1
Starapollo1
Division: Grad

Post by Starapollo1 »

Hahahahaha that's awesome!! :)
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
dvd
State: PA

Post by dvd »

Letter e of the rules seems pretty vague, it states:
"Diseases caused by different kind of microbes and the treatment/prevention of these diseases."

When it just states "diseases", this could even be interpreted as identification of the diseases. Do you think that we would be asked to identify a disease causing agent, such as Bacillus anthracis?
2011 Regional, States, National Events
Disease Detectives- N/A, 3rd, 9th
Anatomy- 1st, 2nd, 20th
Microbe Mission- 2nd, 3rd, 4th
WIDI- 1st, 2nd, 38th
Fossils- 2nd, N/A, N/A
Compute This- 4th, 4th, N/A
Team- 1st, 1st, 11th

Medal Count: 32
Moving on to C division
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: KS

Post by FullMetalMaple »

dvd wrote:Letter e of the rules seems pretty vague, it states:
"Diseases caused by different kind of microbes and the treatment/prevention of these diseases."

When it just states "diseases", this could even be interpreted as identification of the diseases. Do you think that we would be asked to identify a disease causing agent, such as Bacillus anthracis?
Possibly. I did at my state competition - we had to look at pathogens underneath a microscope and identify which disease they cause, as well as the specific type of bacteria, etc. that causes the disease. For example, the type of virus that causes chicken pox (varicella zoster).
The Eviscerator
State: NC

Post by The Eviscerator »

It's not that vague.
There is a list of diseases to know and you should know their microbial causes (e.g., Borellia burgdorferi sensu stricto), their treatment (e.g., amoxicillin), and their prevention (e.g., own a domesticated guineafowl that eats ticks).
note: the aforementioned examples all dealt with Lyme disease.
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

FullMetalMaple wrote:

Possibly. I did at my state competition - we had to look at pathogens underneath a microscope and identify which disease they cause, as well as the specific type of bacteria, etc. that causes the disease. For example, the type of virus that causes chicken pox (varicella zoster).
Hey did you find a site that was helpful with the identification of the specifical bacteria? I know some are common sense but for the more trick ones i really want to go over and I don't have a lot of sources... :)
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by FullMetalMaple »

Starapollo1 wrote:Hey did you find a site that was helpful with the identification of the specifical bacteria? I know some are common sense but for the more trick ones i really want to go over and I don't have a lot of sources... :)
I actually had it all in a book... (Schaum's Outlines of Microbiology, which I found while tagging along on my brother's college visit, haha) I'll look to see if I can find something to help you.
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

Why are you so amazing?? And WHY do you live in Kansas!!! lol jk :)
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by FullMetalMaple »

Starapollo1 wrote:Why are you so amazing?? And WHY do you live in Kansas!!! lol jk :)
I just have lots of time on my hands now that my team's season is over. And I'm sorry - I actually don't live in Kansas by choice. I'm Canadian. :P But thank you.
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

I'll look up the book when I get a chance, thanks FMM!! :D
Last edited by Starapollo1 on April 8th, 2011, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”