Electric Wright Stuff B/C [Trial]

illusionist
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Electric Wright Stuff B/C [Trial]

Post by illusionist »

I think this would be a nice change. I realize the cost is greater, but most of those items are a one-time thing, where you can reuse them on multiple planes. Wright Stuff is popular, but has been around for quite a while. My personal opinion would be to go ahead with Electric Wright Stuff.
lllazar
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by lllazar »

Haha, 29 bucks? I've spent an easy 50+ (i work so i payed for about half of it, school covered some too) on Heli and i'm sure WS can get as expensive, if not more. In the end if you want to do well in building events, hard work is more important than money, but your gonna need to put up a little more than 10-20 bucks (especially for events like this). However, I just don't really like the concept of EWS enough that i want it to be an actual event. WS is an awesome event, and i don't think it'll ever get old. I'd love to see it back for C div sometime soon.

However, as a trial this event seems pretty cool.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
yogoperson
State: CA

Post by yogoperson »

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to build the monplane? I'm clueless here, and I can't find anything on the internet.
Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
-----
Fossils
Entomology
Oh gawd what have I done to myself.
gcruz24
State: NH

Post by gcruz24 »

What are the ideal flight times?
Olman
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Olman »

It seems most at our stat comp. were just a little over a minute.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

When this came up several years ago, there was concern about the availability of components in the quantities making this an official event would require. For example; at that time motors used mostly came from the surplus market and quantities were somewhat limited. It was questionable whether an increase of 5000 or so units could be accommodated.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
chalker7
Division: Grad
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

fleet130 wrote:When this came up several years ago, there was concern about the availability of components in the quantities making this an official event would require. For example; at that time motors used mostly came from the surplus market and quantities were somewhat limited. It was questionable whether an increase of 5000 or so units could be accommodated.
That is an astute point. Do you have any more information about the market one way or the other? Or are you just highlighting a potential issue?
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

This was several years ago and I haven't kept up-to-date on the state of these airplanes. I believe there are several groups currently involved. If you can locate one, they may be able to furnish additional info on parts availability.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

chalker7 wrote:
fleet130 wrote:When this came up several years ago, there was concern about the availability of components in the quantities making this an official event would require. For example; at that time motors used mostly came from the surplus market and quantities were somewhat limited. It was questionable whether an increase of 5000 or so units could be accommodated.
That is an astute point. Do you have any more information about the market one way or the other? Or are you just highlighting a potential issue?

I don't think this is truly an issue. Very similar motors are used in pagers and cell phones and such for the 'vibrate modes'. Doing a quick search found this site based in Florida: http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=16054+MD that has 560 of one particular kind in stock.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

MPJA is a surplus house. I think 560 units is only a fraction of what the demand would be if this were made a regular competitive event. When that stock on hand is gone, chances are there will be no more (of that specific model). Since I have no idea which motors are used or which may be best, there could be thousands (or even 100s of thousands), or the supply (of the best motors) could be extremely limited. Worst case scenario, there are only a few of the really best motors out there and the rest are mediocre. The first few teams that get the good ones would have a distinct advantage over everyone else. This could turn out like the Mars Map/Remote Sensing issue. Here's some more motors.

Any way, here's a photo, another photo and a video. Ray Harlan may be able to shed some light on the matter.

Edit - More Videos:
Capacitor Plane
Science Olympiad capacitor powered electric model airplane

Return to “2011 Build Events”