Robot Arm B/C [Trial]

chalker7
Division: Grad
State: HI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm B/C [Trial]

Post by chalker7 »

science95 wrote:In controling the robotic arm, are computers allowed? Also, if they are allowed, is preprogramming the computer allowed?
You might run into a problem with rule 2.b (it doesn't list preprogramming as an option). That being said, I'd submit an official clarification.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
science95
Division: C
State: TN
Been thanked: 0

Post by science95 »

chalker7 wrote:
science95 wrote:In controling the robotic arm, are computers allowed? Also, if they are allowed, is preprogramming the computer allowed?
You might run into a problem with rule 2.b (it doesn't list preprogramming as an option). That being said, I'd submit an official clarification.
How do I submit an official clarification?
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

science95 wrote:
chalker7 wrote:
How do I submit an official clarification?
Are you talking for your state or for the national competition? The national form is here: http://www.soinc.org/official_rules_clarif but it appears that you can't directly submit a question on trial events. I'd suggest submitting one through the general questions category: http://soinc.org/general_questions
and explaining why it's going there instead of elsewhere.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

The purpose of trial events is just exactly this, to work out the kinks in a set of rules before they become official. Use or non-use of computers in this event is pretty significant so better definition is needed. In addition to the general comments chalker7 suggested, please encourage event supervisors to provide feedback through their state and national event directors to the rules committees.

thanks,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
andrew_cockman
State: IN

Post by andrew_cockman »

The laptop is a good idea BUT! the jug wich is worth the most points has two differnent locations so your banking alot on you guessed on the right location
andrew_cockman
State: IN

Post by andrew_cockman »

does anyone how high the plate form base is and are we allowed to bring are own?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

andrew_cockman wrote:does anyone how high the plate form base is and are we allowed to bring are own?
What plate are you talking about? There isn't anything about a plate in the rules that I've seen.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

andrew_cockman wrote:does anyone how high the plate form base is and are we allowed to bring are own?
Not sure I've said it in this string already, but this is NOT an official arm of the NSO, no answer you get here can or should be considered official. If you need an official answer, you need to ask a clarification or FAQ question on the National SO site. Unfortunately, its kinda late. They generally cutoff responses 30 days before the national tournament to give everyone time to see and adjust to the clarifications.

OK, that said, at the NSO tournament, the event supervisors generally provide all necessary competiton platforms (like the stand for towers, or floor layout for battery buggy). They don't generally allow teams to substitute their own equipment to ensure consistent conditions for all students.

If I were you, I wouldn't plan on using your own playing field, and I'd be prepared to compete on any level surface.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

Chalker or chalker7, are they likely to rule out 2.4 GHz transmitters again next year, or do you think they will be allowed?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Flavorflav wrote:Chalker or chalker7, are they likely to rule out 2.4 GHz transmitters again next year, or do you think they will be allowed?
Great question. I actually was just working on the revised rules and thought 2.4 GHz was in there.. but you're right it's not. That's an oversight I've just corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “2011 Build Events”