Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Junkyard Challenge B

Post by fishman100 »

Hmmm...I think the materials will remain the same (for the most part) but the challenges will be different. When it comes back.
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
NYLHVSSO
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by NYLHVSSO »

2014 New York City Div C Regionals
2012 New York Div B States
2012 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
2011 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by fishman100 »

This makes me wonder if it's a "scaled-down" version of Div C MP, or...
NYLHVSSO
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by NYLHVSSO »

I practiced for this event a lot, but this is an event that all the new 6th graders who are new to SciOly think is cool and want to compete in it. We could only have 4 people compete out of 32. I think that MP might be more crowded.
2014 New York City Div C Regionals
2012 New York Div B States
2012 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
2011 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by fishman100 »

NYLHVSSO wrote:I practiced for this event a lot, but this is an event that all the new 6th graders who are new to SciOly think is cool and want to compete in it. We could only have 4 people compete out of 32. I think that MP might be more crowded.
Somehow I agree. I saw a lot of people at my Regionals with MP devices. It was crazy looking at all of them!
purplepeopleeater
State: TX

Post by purplepeopleeater »

MP is truly a popular, awesome and challenging event.
our Div C team device was tripped by the proctor at state, and they didn't give them enough time to set up again. it was a huge bummer...
I am wondering how it will be modified for Div B.... hm.
No matter what the experiment's result, there will always be someone eager to:(a) misinterpret it(b) fake it, or (c) believe it supports his own pet theory.
2010 Nationals---
  • 3rd Model This, 17th Bio Process Lab, 27th Science Crime Busters
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

soo, do you guy's want to discuss our designs for Junkyard Challenge? I mean, it's probably not coming back next year, so it would be interesting to see what ya'll thought of.
Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

mnstrviola wrote:soo, do you guy's want to discuss our designs for Junkyard Challenge? I mean, it's probably not coming back next year, so it would be interesting to see what ya'll thought of.
i vote to go second
mnstrviola

Post by mnstrviola »

okay, i guess i will go first. My ideas aren't that perfect, but here they are:

Tower- stack cups, using guy wires. does anyone not use this design? lol
Bridge- Two heavy masses (duct tape, misc. balls, cups, etc.) are on either side, leaning away from the other. then there are parallel lines of string connecting them. in the middle of it lies a plate, which is where you put the cup.
Cantilever- I used paper as a counterweight mainly, and made the thing that goes out out of rolled-up paper. again, there is a plate to put the cup and ball on.

Catapult- Okay, my design sucks, and i barely remember any of it... but it basically consists of a triangle made of 3 cups with a tennis ball in each, all on layers of plates. A rubber band goes around 2 of them. Then, there was something with the popsicle sticks, but all i remember is that they were used as a trigger. the ball shot 2 yards if we were lucky. >.>
Bouncer- This design also is not good. I have A pile of paper, a pillar of cups, and 3 bowls with lots of rubber bands around it. I put the bowls on the cups and the cups on the paper. Then i duct taped it all together. Finally, i made a tunnel thing out of paper above the bowl and attached it with popsicle sticks. That way I could drop the balls at the exact same spot. (however, when we used this design at states, the paper thing got crooked D: ) The ball would shoot a foot, but was extremely accurate, unless the paper tunnel thing falls off.
Ramp- This, in my opinion, is my best design. I cut the bottom end of cups, and taped them all together with duct tape, so they made a long tunnel.then i supported it with more cups and paper, and taped it all together so that it looked like a... well... ramp. then at the end I put a small tunnel thing pointing upwards so the ball shot up. I never really even tested this design... so there might me a few errors actually.

All in all, jyc has been pretty much an awesome event. More exited for mission possible tho XD

edit- lol, i think that was my longest post ever. did i spell popsicle right? the spell-check says nay :O
mnstrviola

Post by mnstrviola »

so... who wants to go next?

Return to “2011 Build Events”