State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Most competitive state

Post by tornado guy »

Infinity Flat wrote:
tornado guy wrote:
dontsenditinthemail wrote:
Other good states include NY, Cali, and Pennsylvania, but to put a state like Washington ahead of Ohio is to ignore results.
We actually were quite good a couple years ago... But we're not better then Ohio now, that's for sure!
WA took 4th in C division in 02 and 03 and 3rd in 05, and took 4th and then 2nd in 08 / 09.

So historically, we have done quite well, yes.
That's true; I forgot about how well Prairie did those years at nationals back in the day.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
SirBobo
Division: B
State: CA

Post by SirBobo »

Primate wrote:oh, just give it time. every team slips eventually.
I know, schools have different teams every year.
I am SirBobo and I approve this message

"Insert meaningful quote here"

Image Image
foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Yes, of course teams change. Solon has done well recently, but JC Booth has a much better and more impressive Nationals record. And yet, we rank Solon above Booth. Why? If Booth has actually done much better than Solon overall, why do we rank Solon above Booth? Just something for you guys to chew on.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
French_Toast
Division: C
State: OH

Post by French_Toast »

foreverphysics wrote:Yes, of course teams change. Solon has done well recently, but JC Booth has a much better and more impressive Nationals record. And yet, we rank Solon above Booth. Why? If Booth has actually done much better than Solon overall, why do we rank Solon above Booth? Just something for you guys to chew on.
Probably because Solon's been so dominant over the past couple years. Winning nationals four straight years is no small feat, and their high school team is quite good all the time too, beating out Centerville for the top spot last year.

I probably come off as a bit big headed for speaking so highly of Ohio teams when I'm from here, but I have competed against these guys every tournament since I started SO. I have not been to a tournament where one of them were there that they didn't win.
2011 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Optics, Birds, Protein Modeling, Technical Problem Solving
2012 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Elastic Gliders, Trees, Microbe Mission, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing
tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

If forever was referring to overall most competitive then I would agree with her.. But over the past 5 years obviously Solon has been the king of SO.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
hexagonaria

Post by hexagonaria »

It's tough being in Ohio :roll: you won't be seeing me in Orlando, that's for sure. (You might see me at OSU though)
DFTBA
French_Toast

Post by French_Toast »

hexagonaria wrote:It's tough being in Ohio :roll: you won't be seeing me in Orlando, that's for sure. (You might see me at OSU though)
That it is. What school are you from(not to be creepy)? West Liberty here, getting ready to head up to Mentor for tomorrow.
2011 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Optics, Birds, Protein Modeling, Technical Problem Solving
2012 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Elastic Gliders, Trees, Microbe Mission, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing
hexagonaria

Post by hexagonaria »

French_Toast wrote:
hexagonaria wrote:It's tough being in Ohio :roll: you won't be seeing me in Orlando, that's for sure. (You might see me at OSU though)
That it is. What school are you from(not to be creepy)? West Liberty here, getting ready to head up to Mentor for tomorrow.
Im from pick central. Not a very competitive school in the past, but the class of 2015 is changing that! Our division b school, ridgeview, hadn't been to states since the 80s, but yours truly, and my friends sent them to osu for the past two years :) hopefully we can do the same now that we are in division c. We'll see I guess.
Do you go to states usually? (and no, i'm not going to mentor. Wsu was all the invitational I can handle this year)
DFTBA
French_Toast

Post by French_Toast »

hexagonaria wrote:
French_Toast wrote:
Im from pick central. Not a very competitive school in the past, but the class of 2015 is changing that! Our division b school, ridgeview, hadn't been to states since the 80s, but yours truly, and my friends sent them to osu for the past two years :) hopefully we can do the same now that we are in division c. We'll see I guess.
Do you go to states usually? (and no, i'm not going to mentor. Wsu was all the invitational I can handle this year)
Ahh, I've seen you guys before methinks. I think our high school team has always made it to state, might have missed once(in 5 years of existing). Piqua regionals is fairly soft competition compared to invites(no offense to anyone there). Centerville wins it, Beavercreek normally takes second, and WLS/Alter/Northmont can all beat each other on any given day. Last year we sent 4 teams to state and we went with Alter, but this year 5 will go.

Just got back from Mentor, well ran tournament actually. Awards got off nicer than WSU, I got home at 10 from both, but WSU is an hour away, and Mentor is 3-4, depending on how fast you drive.
hexagonaria

Post by hexagonaria »

well good luck then, it sounds like you guys have a good chance of advancing ;)
If you do, I can cheat off you in remote sensing. I suck at remote sensing :?
DFTBA

Return to “2012 Nationals”