Reach for the Stars B

sazhassan
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by sazhassan »

hi guys! I'm in my school's Reach for the Stars team and we did really well in regional... but it was surprisingly easy. I reserched more and found more practice tests, but I was wondering... about how much harder is this event going to get? I had a bad experience with anatomy being easy in Invitational, and we ended up going one rank down in regionals... I don't want the same thing to happen with RFTS... :?

Can some one give me an idea about the progression of difficulty in this even from Regionals to States? This is my first year to Science Olympiad... and I've been working hard...
My 1st season of SO:
Optics - (5th, 4th)
Water Quality - (3rd, 7th)
Compute This - (2nd, 5th)
Reach for the Stars - (1st, 2nd)
Experimental Design - (3rd, 7th)
Anatomy - (2nd, 2nd)
Team: 3rd, 4th

2013 events:
Anatomy, Reach for the Stars, water quality, meteorology, dynamic planet
ReBobville
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by ReBobville »

From my experience, it really depends on WHO writes your test. For example, the SE PA meteorology test writer has a reputation for writing REALLY CHALLENGING tests (which I like) Sure enough, this year, the test was hard (but my team got 1st ) However, the PA state test in meteorology is normally easy. So, if you know anything about who is writing the test, that can be really helpful. However, as a general rule, know everything on the rule sheet. If your test writer writes a hard test, expect everything to bee there (In other words, KNOW YOUR CONSTELLATIONS, DSO'S, STARS, AND STELLER EVOLUTION!!)
Strath Haven High School- 2015
Purdue University- 2019
Hosj
Division: C

Post by Hosj »

One of the practice tests I took asked me what stage of evolution Pollux is. I answered red giant, and the key said it was wrong. :?

Same with Cappela. Because it's a triple star, I said, 2 red giants, 2 red dwarfs. It was looking for Main sequence. :?

States is a week away!
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

Hosj wrote:One of the practice tests I took asked me what stage of evolution Pollux is. I answered red giant, and the key said it was wrong. :?

Same with Cappela. Because it's a triple star, I said, 2 red giants, 2 red dwarfs. It was looking for Main sequence. :?

States is a week away!
Was it the 2008 National test? There are 3 mistakes on the answer key dealing evolutionary phases of stars. Also most tests makers will only want the evolutionary phase on the main star in a binary or bigger system. If they want more detail than that, they will find a way to make it clean in the question.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
sazhassan

Post by sazhassan »

Hosj wrote:One of the practice tests I took asked me what stage of evolution Pollux is. I answered red giant, and the key said it was wrong. :?

States is a week away!
Hey Hey! I'm in your states! Good luck! (even though im in another school)
Oh and I was also wondering (general question) what are the most important things that I should put in my notes? I have a lot information and it helped me in regionals! :D but I want to add more... :geek:
My 1st season of SO:
Optics - (5th, 4th)
Anatomy - (2nd, 2nd)

2013 events:
sazhassan

Post by sazhassan »

ReBobville wrote:From my experience, it really depends on WHO writes your test. For example, the SE PA meteorology test writer has a reputation for writing REALLY CHALLENGING tests (which I like) Sure enough, this year, the test was hard (but my team got 1st ) However, the PA state test in meteorology is normally easy. So, if you know anything about who is writing the test, that can be really helpful. However, as a general rule, know everything on the rule sheet. If your test writer writes a hard test, expect everything to bee there (In other words, KNOW YOUR CONSTELLATIONS, DSO'S, STARS, AND STELLER EVOLUTION!!)
Hey Hey! Thanks! And our test writer for regionals made it really simple that me and my partner walked out of room 40 minutes before the time was up. Ehhhh... then again states could be like another step harder... I know most of the constellations by heart and I try my best to know the stars and DSOs... Stellar Evolution is really easy in my opinion...

STATES IN 6 DAYS! :o (secretly freaking out and cramming for my events... :shock: )
My 1st season of SO:
Optics - (5th, 4th)
Anatomy - (2nd, 2nd)

2013 events:
ReBobville

Post by ReBobville »

States is a week away!
I agree. Normally on tests, if they ask for info on a star, respond with the appropriate answer for the main star (So, if Sirius is asked for, do Sirius A NOT Sirius B)

Also, if you are not sure, ask your supervisor! they may be able to end the confusion!!!
Purdue University- 2019
ReBobville

Post by ReBobville »

Be sure you know the DSO's in different wavelengths. (Also, it's good to know general "fun facts" about each DSO!)
Purdue University- 2019
sazhassan

Post by sazhassan »

ReBobville wrote:Be sure you know the DSO's in different wavelengths. (Also, it's good to know general "fun facts" about each DSO!)
where can i find these fun facts?? I see some in practice test but not all the time...

STATES IN FIVE DAYS :o
My 1st season of SO:
Optics - (5th, 4th)
Anatomy - (2nd, 2nd)

2013 events:
ReBobville

Post by ReBobville »

I just entered the name of the DSO into google. (found the date that it was observed, etc.) Just be sure that your source has the date right!! (cross-reference sources etc.)
Purdue University- 2019

Return to “2012 Study Events”