Duration

spikeytomato
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Duration

Post by spikeytomato »

if any of you are from california, i heard that several schools have broken two minutes with regular coaxial helicopters at regionals
then again, i also heard that troy and some other schools have chinooks done ready for states but i dont know the time
knowing that its troy, its probably going to be pretty good though
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

The supervisors were new. Apparently that is the reason for the DQ as well - they had ongoing issues with the WM alternates (and one coach) all day, from what I hear, but instead of coming down like a ton of bricks in the morning, they just kind of stored up all of their grievances and then laid them out to the State Director and appeals committee after the competition was over. The committee evidently decided that the aggregate behavior amounted to unsportsmanlike conduct, worthy of a DQ. Rookie mistake, IMO - if they had scared the bejeezus out of them at 8:30, I'm sure they would have had a much more pleasant day and WM would have got the gold they deserved. 1:30 on a Chinook? We were really impressed with our 48 seconds! As for why it wasn't 2:00, I suspect that is the rule, not the exception. You shouldn't expect to get your absolute best result in competition. (BTW, our 48 seconds became 35 in competition - almost exactly the same proportion).
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

Wait, was the 48 second helicopter a chinook? Were there really that many >2:00 flights at the competition? :shock:
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Like I said it only got 35 seconds, or 1:35 after the multiplier. That was good for 9th after WM's DQ, or 10th overall. I was surprised how good the times were, considering the height of the ceiling.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

Hey,
After a certain point winding, isnt the torque essentially the same? Im unsure and im wondering if its worth sticking the extra 50 winds i could get from a rubber even when im left with 100 spare. If torque is consistant, then i dont need to put on the extra few. However if the torque does change, then it matters for a few more useful winds. Im i think the torque is uniform but cannot recall...
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

mrsteven wrote:Hey,
After a certain point winding, isnt the torque essentially the same? Im unsure and im wondering if its worth sticking the extra 50 winds i could get from a rubber even when im left with 100 spare. If torque is consistant, then i dont need to put on the extra few. However if the torque does change, then it matters for a few more useful winds. Im i think the torque is uniform but cannot recall...
No. There are three parts of the torque curve, the initial increase, the middle plateau and the final peak. Once you get into the final peaking, the torque will continually increase until the motor breaks.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

chalker7 wrote:
mrsteven wrote:Hey,
No. There are three parts of the torque curve, the initial increase, the middle plateau and the final peak. Once you get into the final peaking, the torque will continually increase until the motor breaks.
So say (note, random numbers) I'm flying 1:00 at 200 winds with maybe 15 winds extra, yet the rubber can take another 20 winds. Is it beneficial to me to wind the extra 20 even if it cannot support itself 35 winds earlier?
So does the extra winds make a higher torque for the descent portion of the flight that would up my flight time?

I want to know if its worth risking breaking the rubber or going conservative knowing that there are a bunch of extra.
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

mrsteven wrote: So say (note, random numbers) I'm flying 1:00 at 200 winds with maybe 15 winds extra, yet the rubber can take another 20 winds. Is it beneficial to me to wind the extra 20 even if it cannot support itself 35 winds earlier?
So does the extra winds make a higher torque for the descent portion of the flight that would up my flight time?

I want to know if its worth risking breaking the rubber or going conservative knowing that there are a bunch of extra.
I don't really follow your example, but you always want to wind your motors as much as possible. Even if you are launching at a torque lower than the breaking torque, it works out that you will get more winds on the motor if you wind up to the breaking point and then back off to your launching torque.
Breaking a few motors is much preferred over leaving winds on the table. The way you know you're winding well is if you are regularly breaking motors.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

Ok thanks, that answers my question clearly!
lakersfan

Post by lakersfan »

mrsteven i hear you had a chinook at state, congrats! If you dont mind me asking, how long was your flight time pre-bonus? and what was the rest of the field like in IL?

Return to “Helicopters C”