Reach for the Stars B

The Doctor
Division: B
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by The Doctor »

This is the first time I've had Reach for the Stars as an event (out of three years of S.O.), but that hasn't stopped me from totally loving it (awakening an past love of space). We even managed to get 2nd place (along with my event partner, of course). Basically I just wanted to express my love for this event, so I decided to do it here.
On the subject of state, ours aren't until the end of the month. Still nervous, though! :?
Cheesy Pie
Division: Grad

Post by Cheesy Pie »

At our states, it was a PPT with about 10 seconds a slide; there were multiple questions per slide.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

Cheesy Pie wrote:At our states, it was a PPT with about 10 seconds a slide; there were multiple questions per slide.
Really, 10 seconds? That seems fast. The only thing that you can really get done in that time usually is just simple identification.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
XJcwolfyX
Division: C

Post by XJcwolfyX »

Cheesy there were not multiple questions.

What did you think of the test?
Medal Counter: 73
Cheesy Pie

Post by Cheesy Pie »

I only know cuz I heard it from other teammates. I was an alternate.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

Oh.
Medal Counter: 73
JKrafsur
State: CO

Post by JKrafsur »

OK a quick question. I have some extra room on my cheat sheet for extra info. At regionals, half of the test was about stuff that wasnt on the rule sheet, and we got nearly all of it wrong (still got 2nd somehow :| ) I am just wondering what kinds of stuff you guys saw on your state tests. Our extra stuff was all about Astronomers and it was really weird. Any ideas?
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?
Epicfail21
State: CA

Post by Epicfail21 »

JKrafsur wrote:OK a quick question. I have some extra room on my cheat sheet for extra info. At regionals, half of the test was about stuff that wasnt on the rule sheet, and we got nearly all of it wrong (still got 2nd somehow :| ) I am just wondering what kinds of stuff you guys saw on your state tests. Our extra stuff was all about Astronomers and it was really weird. Any ideas?
I would look at the rule sheet and look for items that you do know and that you don't know. Then add the stuff you don't know on to your cheat sheet.
illusionofconfusion
State: AL

Post by illusionofconfusion »

JKrafsur wrote:OK a quick question. I have some extra room on my cheat sheet for extra info. At regionals, half of the test was about stuff that wasnt on the rule sheet, and we got nearly all of it wrong (still got 2nd somehow :| ) I am just wondering what kinds of stuff you guys saw on your state tests. Our extra stuff was all about Astronomers and it was really weird. Any ideas?
They asked about astronomers? That's really weird... What kind of questions did they ask?
~illusionofconfusion ;)
starshine
State: NY

Post by starshine »

My event supervisor has a 4 page list on additions to the rules. My state competition is tomorrow and Saturday. Perhaps your event writer will ask similar questions, so get to know those topics.
2010 (1), 2011 (4), 2012 (7), 2013 (1)

Return to “2012 Study Events”