JKrafsur
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by JKrafsur »

illusionofconfusion wrote:
JKrafsur wrote:OK a quick question. I have some extra room on my cheat sheet for extra info. At regionals, half of the test was about stuff that wasnt on the rule sheet, and we got nearly all of it wrong (still got 2nd somehow :| ) I am just wondering what kinds of stuff you guys saw on your state tests. Our extra stuff was all about Astronomers and it was really weird. Any ideas?
They asked about astronomers? That's really weird... What kind of questions did they ask?
You know I thought they were odd as well. They were generally phrased something like this (just a made up example): This French astronomer in the 1700s was the first to generate equations to determine the distance to the nearest star using trigonometry and other common modern day mathematics. (Though I dont know if it was in the 1700s) And to make thing worse, there were like 20 questions on this junk.

Also thanks Starshine I will be sure to check it out
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Questions about astronomers on a Reach test isn't that unusual (for example, questions like "who discovered [DSO]?" or "who discovered [something important in our knowledge of stellar evolution]?" is fair game). And while questions like the ones you say you had aren't technically covered by the rules, SO space science events have a reputation for being very broad. So much so that the generally accepted studying technique for Astronomy is "study everything you think might possibly have a chance of being on the test, and then some" >.>

But for heavens' sake, you're allowed two double-sided pages of notes (which, might I say, is twice as many notes as they used to allow). Squish in some notes about astronomers or other stuff not specifically covered in the rules in the margins - extra info is your friend!
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
ReBobville
State: PA

Post by ReBobville »

In my experience, normally the astronomers will just be famous or have some special connection to something on the rules (EX: Charles Mesier). On tests, it seems like all of them have a lot of constellation stuff, so be sure you are ROCK SOLID on that info.

I compete in this at states in one week. AHHHHHHHH!
Strath Haven High School- 2015
Purdue University- 2019
sciencegeek999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by sciencegeek999 »

On my state test, the first section was where you would get to glance at a picture for ten seconds then write down what it is. Then, they go over it again for ten seconds each slide. The other sections were just normal questions.
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

Science geek how did you end up doing at State?! I wonder if I was in the same room as you during the test :).
Medal Counter: 73
Fossil Freak 25
State: WA

Post by Fossil Freak 25 »

Hey, very site I go to for information on Spica, It contradicts what another site says. so, does anyone know what type of star Spica is?
Go Cougs!
illusionofconfusion
State: AL

Post by illusionofconfusion »

Fossil Freak 25 wrote:Hey, very site I go to for information on Spica, It contradicts what another site says. so, does anyone know what type of star Spica is?
Well, Spica is a binary star system. Most sites seem to agree that the primary star is a subgiant/giant. The secondary star is main-sequence (well, the majority of sites agree about this). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
~illusionofconfusion ;)
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

A B0 giant and B4 sub giant, right?
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
Fossil Freak 25
State: WA

Post by Fossil Freak 25 »

Go Cougs!
starshine
Division: B
State: NY

Post by starshine »

Is there any chance for this to be a planetarium at Nationals? I'm wondering whether to bring red flashlights.
2010 (1), 2011 (4), 2012 (7), 2013 (1)

Return to “2012 Study Events”