Medal Counter: 73
ZachNCheez
Division: B
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Most competitive state

Post by ZachNCheez »

All of the other Indiana schools scared me to death. I was sitting there screaming,"HOWWWW?!?!?" SO um, yeah but I am sure Indiana isn't the most competitive.
FRESHMAN- Northridge High School from N. IN
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Everyone thinks their own state is the most competitive...
foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Not true. I live in AL. I think that AL ranks somewhere around 51st in most competitive. (Yes, I know that there are only 48 states in SO. No, I did not make a mistake.)
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
ptkid
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

foreverphysics wrote:Not true. I live in AL. I think that AL ranks somewhere around 51st in most competitive. (Yes, I know that there are only 48 states in SO. No, I did not make a mistake.)
Texas is kind of competitive. I guess.
foreverphysics didn't your team get second at state so how can you say that it isn't competitive?
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
techmaster55
Division: B
State: NY

Post by techmaster55 »

Ok I just got back from the NY State B division tournament , and gelinas got second to eagle hill by 12 points. Couldve gotten first but they had unexpected difficulties on 2 of their tech events, like the ceiling being 6.6 meters,a tiny bit too small for their trebuchet, although they did manage to get one pretty good shot off. The score difference between 2nd and 3rd place this year was more than 160 points. Competition for 1st is extremly tight in NY, but I agree NY is ussualy dominated by 1-4 powerhouse teams.
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

techmaster55 wrote:Ok I just got back from the NY State B division tournament , and gelinas got second to eagle hill by 12 points. Couldve gotten first but they had unexpected difficulties on 2 of their tech events, like the ceiling being 6.6 meters,a tiny bit too small for their trebuchet, although they did manage to get one pretty good shot off. The score difference between 2nd and 3rd place this year was more than 160 points. Competition for 1st is extremly tight in NY, but I agree NY is ussualy dominated by 1-4 powerhouse teams.
Thanks! I'm so proud of my team. :D Maybe next year I'll get to compete, this year I was an alt. I was nervous about the Eagle Hill/Murphy/Gelinas/EveryOtherTeam competition, because NY has a lot of talented teams.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
Osennecho
State: PA

Post by Osennecho »

C division Pennsylvania ended up being very competitive this year.
2012 Events: (Regionals, States, Nationals); N/A=conflict
Astronomy (6th, 7th, 16th)
Dynamic Planet (N/A, N/A, 11th)
Optics (2nd, 3rd, 5th)
Remote Sensing (N/A, 5th, 47th)

Team Overall (3rd, 2nd, 14th)
It's been a life changing 6 year experience.
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

IMO, I'd say the most competitive states would be NY, PA, Ohio, and CA (both North and South). All these states have a handful of teams who consistently do good, but don't make it to Nats. The teams that do go to Nats from these states do well on a regular basis.
trophymursky
State: PA

Post by trophymursky »

c division
1. Ohio (constantly place 2 teams in the top 5 or six and could probably have 4 or 5 teams that could beat the team that gets 10th in nationals)

2. Pennsylvania, (Harriton and Penncrest typically both get top 10 and penncrest just got 3rd in states yesterday so you know its not a 2 team state).
rip sounds of music

Return to “2012 Nationals”