AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Will you make it to nationals?

Post by AlphaTauri »

ichaelm wrote:Anyone here remember Sewickley? Anything can happen...
Yes, but Sewickley dropping out was a shock to everyone...a school that does that well doesn't usually just get up and quit.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by lllazar »

Last year being the first time my school went to states, we got 16th out of 43 teams. All im thinking right now is let's get 1st at Regionals, top 10 at State. I really think we can do it - but nationals? I don't care what school you go to, focus on getting past state first.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
ichaelm
State: PA

Post by ichaelm »

AlphaTauri wrote:
ichaelm wrote:Anyone here remember Sewickley? Anything can happen...
Yes, but Sewickley dropping out was a shock to everyone...a school that does that well doesn't usually just get up and quit.
Exactly, my point being that you have to say "usually"! :P
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

I certainly hope we will make it to Nationals. I think we have the ability to, and I have a good feeling that we will. I kind of take it for granted after three years in the middle school of going to Nationals. We have a strong team, and there is no reason that we can't make it.
But we lost a lot of good people last year, and frankly, I have no idea if the new team will work or not. I know that each person who joined has strong merits, but I don't know if they can be mixed together to form a National team. I think we can make it, and I think we will, but I'm far from certain.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
personasaurus rex
State: NY

Post by personasaurus rex »

zyzzyva98 wrote:
personasaurus rex wrote:but i feel like Z has a point, but point has a fault in it. there are schools that are JUST THAT GOOD and they knowww for a fact that they can make it. Not trying to point anyone out here and no offense to anyone, but come on, fayetville? haha
No. Just no. Take it here: http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=2351

Guys, anything can happen. Don't give up. My first year, we failed through the first competitions then got second large school at state. Stuff happens. Work hard, and give it your all, and it sounds cliche, but leave it all on the field (er... testing room). You should have no regrets. Then you can look at the team that beat you and say, "I respect you and your school, for you have worked hard as well."
HAHAHAHAHAH thats exactly what i thought. this thread is turning into like the other one.
I know that it's always good to be cheerful and be positive and have hope and all, but let me break it down on how it works here in New York:
Fayetville gets first, and everyone, maybe with the exception of WM (cause of last year's close results), compete for second for a chance for nats. Sad, but its how it goes.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

lllazar wrote:I don't care what school you go to, focus on getting past state first.
Unless you go to mine, in which case you should worry about getting first at nats. We're obviously gonna make it past states. I mean, we've totally owned Grand Haven every year; they haven't gotten first in the state since 1980, amirite?
3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m
State: VA

Post by 3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m »

quizbowl13 wrote:i think that we have what it takes, but so do two other teams :P
I thought I would go last year too, but alas, I did not :(
good luck though :)
srsvball95
State: TX

Post by srsvball95 »

paleonaps wrote:I certainly hope we will make it to Nationals. I think we have the ability to, and I have a good feeling that we will. I kind of take it for granted after three years in the middle school of going to Nationals. We have a strong team, and there is no reason that we can't make it.
But we lost a lot of good people last year, and frankly, I have no idea if the new team will work or not. I know that each person who joined has strong merits, but I don't know if they can be mixed together to form a National team. I think we can make it, and I think we will, but I'm far from certain.
Same with us. We won first and either second or third at all of the Division B competitions last year, won state, and got 8th at Nats in our first year ever going. Now, the entire Nationals team except for one has moved up to Division C or is not doing it in high school, so we lost a lot of people and gained new ones who again, are good enough to be able to make the team. That being said, high school is so different from junior high and we're also competing against LASA who got 7th at Nats last year. We have the core team from last year, but we don't have as many resources since we don't have much money. Everyone on the team is just focusing on their individual events and whatever happens for the team, oh well since we're not expecting too much. While it would be awesome to make it to Nationals, who knows what will happen.
Seven Lakes High School Class of 2014
Beckendorff Alumni
French_Toast
State: OH

Post by French_Toast »

Yeah, sure, we got this, if the top ten teams don't show up. :p

The annoying thing about Ohio is how competitive it is. That makes it all the more fun, too, but beating Solon/Mentor/Centerville looks hard enough, and then there's a host of other good teams that would do good at Nationals as well that are behind them.
2011 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Optics, Birds, Protein Modeling, Technical Problem Solving
2012 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Elastic Gliders, Trees, Microbe Mission, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing
Bubba1960
Division: B
State: MD

Post by Bubba1960 »

winneratlife wrote:
zyzzyva98 wrote:Now, I have a bit of a problem with this thread (no offense to 3nv1r0nm3ntal), and that is that someone is going to post how awesome their team is and how they get to nationals every year and how they're better than everyone else. To this person, whomever it may be: Don't be an idiot and do this. Past results have no bearing on this year. You aren't guaranteed an all-time pass to the national tournament. Don't start talking about how awesome you're going to do at nationals until you get to nationals. Past results have no bearing on this year. You aren't guaranteed an all-time pass to the national tournament. Don't start talking about how awesome you're going to do at nationals until you get to nationals. And yes, I wrote that twice for emphasis.
My team is awesome. We get to go to nats every year! We're better than everyone else!

:D

Notice my sig...
Grrr....
You make Bubba mad
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own ~ Adam Savage
North Bethesda Middle School

Return to “2011 Nationals”