Will/Did you make it to nationals?

lolliexdd
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Will/Did you make it to nationals?

Post by lolliexdd »

soccerisforlosers wrote:my team meets 7 days a week. but each event does not meet every day. each event has a different coach so the coach sets up the meeting to whatever time he/she wants. and we meet from 1 hour to 4 hours, depending on the event and what day it is.
Wow, that's really interesting. If only we had enough coaches for that..
Tramsarran wrote:I wish my team could have had a whole lot more practices and some time to actually test our stuff before going there. We dominated NYC Regionals but were dominated by the rest of NY at states. Maybe that can change next year but I don't think it will considering that we only have meetings for an hour for 4 out of the 5 weekdays and a lot of the time the meetings are cancelled. Still, for all the teams that made it to Nationals, how much time do you guys spend on sci oly stuff? I know a few of my teamates who had worked really hard outside of school but didn't get anything to show for their efforts.
That's more than our team. We used to meet 1-2 days a week and now since states is in about 2 weeks, it's 3 days a week. Meets are 1 hour to 1.5 hours. And most of the team skips because they "work at home". Only about 6 people are at practice at any given time usually. that's probably why we never even reach top ten at states. -____-
Stroudsburg HS Science Olympiad Graduate!
SUNY- College of Environmental Science and Forestry '17
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

We meet...once a week :P

But we all do a lot of studying alone and with our partners, so I guess it all evens out!
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
Tramsarran
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Tramsarran »

Only after we realized that we were moving on to states did we start having meetings more than on Monday and Tuesday and because the teacher's have meetings on Thursday we moved to Wednesday and the schedule kept changing. I think mostly everyone on my team did more studying on my team the week before Regionals than all the months before. I know I did most of my studying between Regionals and States because of the additon of Awesome Aquifers, Compute This and Bottle Rocket and because I wasn't really serious before. Doesn't it seem like most of the people who have Scioly accounts are the pros? If you're reading this you probably have what it takes to make it to Nationals or you already have, right? Maybe I'll be there next year.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

Tramsarran wrote:Doesn't it seem like most of the people who have Scioly accounts are the pros? If you're reading this you probably have what it takes to make it to Nationals or you already have, right? Maybe I'll be there next year.
Haha, that does seem to be the trend, but many people on here don't make it to nationals. Or even state. :? So yes, though many deserve to go to nats, they don't. C'est la vie.
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

Kokonilly wrote:
Tramsarran wrote:Doesn't it seem like most of the people who have Scioly accounts are the pros? If you're reading this you probably have what it takes to make it to Nationals or you already have, right? Maybe I'll be there next year.
Haha, that does seem to be the trend, but many people on here don't make it to nationals. Or even state. :?
For those of you who don't know, I'm one of the above. My team is SUPER TINY (as in 10 people, 4 of which actually belong in division B), but I care a lot. Maybe we'll make it to state one day. (Hah!)
So we're not all from pro teams.
Kokonilly wrote:So yes, though many deserve to go to nats, they don't. C'est la vie.
Aww, thanks! SYMPATHY! (I'd kill to get to go to Nats)
Last edited by aubrey048 on April 24th, 2011, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife »

Kokonilly wrote:
Haha, that does seem to be the trend, but many people on here don't make it to nationals. Or even state. :? So yes, though many deserve to go to nats, they don't. C'est la vie.
*feels the :? pointing at him*

But then again, I don't deserve nats anyways. I don't think. I was a beast last year. I kind of chilled this year; I mean, it's a team competition; no matter how great you are, if the rest of your team isn't motivated, you're not going to nats.

And, on another note, Koko takes French? :o
thewinner
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by thewinner »

Yeah, I think a lot of the people on here are pretty dedicated. However, the rest of their team may not be. I'm lucky I'm from a pro district. This year at states, the top two in both divisions were schools from our district. But, I don't know ANYONE here from Community (the NJ Div B powerhouse that won states 11 years in a row and won nationals twice). So I guess not all the pros are on Scioly.
I win.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

aubrey048 wrote:(I'd kill to get to go to Nats)
Well... don't...
winneratlife wrote:And, on another note, Koko takes French? :o
No, I'm in Spanish. That doesn't mean I don't know some French sayings, though.
thewinner wrote:Yeah, I think a lot of the people on here are pretty dedicated. However, the rest of their team may not be. I'm lucky I'm from a pro district. This year at states, the top two in both divisions were schools from our district. But, I don't know ANYONE here from Community (the NJ Div B powerhouse that won states 11 years in a row and won nationals twice). So I guess not all the pros are on Scioly.
Yeah, I don't think Troy or Centerville have a strong presence here (correct me if I'm wrong).
new horizon
State: NJ

Post by new horizon »

thewinner wrote:Yeah, I think a lot of the people on here are pretty dedicated. However, the rest of their team may not be. I'm lucky I'm from a pro district. This year at states, the top two in both divisions were schools from our district. But, I don't know ANYONE here from Community (the NJ Div B powerhouse that won states 11 years in a row and won nationals twice). So I guess not all the pros are on Scioly.
Even though Community doesn't have a large group of people here, I'm sure everyone is familiar with scioly and checks this site a lot but they don't create accounts. Few members on my team have sciolys and even fewer actually use their accounts on a regular basis. There are plenty of dedicated kids who don't have accounts here (to my knowledge) but I'll guess that they come to this site on a regular basis and use the resources here.
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

As far as I'm concerned, I'm the only team member who has a Scioly account.

There are some others who live in VA and have accounts. But (probably) not as many people from VA as there are from, say, PA.
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15

Return to “2011 Nationals”