Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Teams going to Nationals

Post by Kokonilly »

rfscoach wrote:Sadly...No. The B team I coach missed Nationals by 12 points and my kids C team came in 3rd this year.
IdahoSciGuy wrote:I will not be going
Oh, that's a shame. I was hoping to meet both of you! And congratulations to the new team from Idaho. :D
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

rfscoach wrote: Sadly...No. The B team I coach missed Nationals by 12 points and my kids C team came in 3rd this year.
I just had that weird deja vu feeling saying, "I don't remember writing that..." I did a double take even though the "3rd" is (barely) wrong.

Our B team missed Nationals by 12 points and our C team came in 5th this year (missing third by 3 points so we were basically in the same boat).

rfscoach, maybe we'll see you Florida next year?
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

luo wrote:
Kokonilly wrote:It seems that there are many upsets this year.
I just noticed on the Colorado SO website that Poudre High School did not win the Colorado state tournament, which I think is surprising since Poudre has won for 9 straight years and got 12th at Nationals last year. Anyway, congrats to Cheyenne Mountain High School! Several notable streaks have been broken this year, it seems.
Oh, and you should've seen the awards ceremony! They announced all the individual events (B and C) and then the B division winner but we had to

W
A
I
T

for them to announce the C division winner. They had some scoring delay with astronomy. And things were REALLY CLOSE. Our team was sitting pretty much between Poudre and Cheyenne Mountain. When they announced "And, finishing in second, only 5 points behind the winning team is Poo..." At that point, the moans to the left of me and the screams to the right were amazing. We couldn't even hear the "dur valley..."

Both are excellent teams and they both handled things with lots of respect for each other.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

[quote="hscmom"]Oh, and you should've seen the awards ceremony! They announced all the individual events (B and C) and then the B division winner but we had to

W
A
I
T

for them to announce the C division winner. They had some scoring delay with astronomy. And things were REALLY CLOSE. Our team was sitting pretty much between Poudre and Cheyenne Mountain. When they announced "And, finishing in second, only 5 points behind the winning team is Poo..." At that point, the moans to the left of me and the screams to the right were amazing. We couldn't even hear the "dur valley..."

Both are excellent teams and they both handled things with lots of respect for each other.[/quote]

The Minnesota awards ceremony was extremely nerve-racking too! There was a little confusion in the results for Dynamic Planet, which lengthened the waiting time. Then, after announcing third place, the state director announced that only 7 points separated the first and second place teams. At that point, Eastview and Mounds View both totally freaked out. Mounds View ended up winning, but nicely, it turns out that Eastview gets to go to Nationals too because Washington DC declined their Nationals spot.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
soccerisforlosers
Division: B
State: AL

Post by soccerisforlosers »

luo wrote:[quote="hscmom"]Oh, and you should've seen the awards ceremony! They announced all the individual events (B and C) and then the B division winner but we had to

W
A
I
T

Both are excellent teams and they both handled things with lots of respect for each other.

The Minnesota awards ceremony was extremely nerve-racking too! There was a delay in the results for Dynamic Planet, which lengthened the waiting time. Then, after announcing third place, the state director announced that only 7 points separated the first and second place teams. At that point, Eastview and Mounds View both totally freaked out. Mounds View ended up winning, but nicely, it turns out that Eastview gets to go to Nationals too because Washington DC declined their Nationals spot.[/quote]

personally, i think all state award ceremonies are nerve racking. especially because even though your team might medal alot, you dont know how you did in the events you did not medal. since one event can be the difference between 1st and 2nd and going to nats or not. and last year, my team won state by 60 points but this was pretty close. we only won by 13.
2011 State:
Towers 1st
Dynamic Planet 1st
Meteorology 2nd
Experimental Design 4th
Awesome Aquifers 1st
Bottle Rocket 5th
Team 1st

2011 Nationals
Meteorology
Dynamic Planet
Road Scholar
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

luo wrote:The Minnesota awards ceremony was extremely nerve-racking too! There was a little confusion in the results for Dynamic Planet, which lengthened the waiting time. Then, after announcing third place, the state director announced that only 7 points separated the first and second place teams. At that point, Eastview and Mounds View both totally freaked out. Mounds View ended up winning, but nicely, it turns out that Eastview gets to go to Nationals too because Washington DC declined their Nationals spot.
Gah, that was very nerve-racking. They mixed up Remote and DP (I think), and a hush fell over the crowd when they said that it was a seven-point margin. And then everyone cheered when we lost. :(
quizbowl
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

Yeah, in NY, it appeared that Syosset had a chance at nationals, due to a huge increase in the number of medals. We had not known about three bomb events, which if each had just been down by 8 points (completely feasible we would have been going. When they called us for 4th, we heard a lot of groans and sighs. I guess the rest of NY was behind an underdog team, heh, but it wasn't good enough. When they called 1st for FM, no one really cared at that point, for they expected it, and most people were walking away as they were getting their trophy. :cry: I guess it just means we have to work harder next year.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
Mod
Division: C

Post by Mod »

Good Luck to Everyone going to Nationals!
skillfullparrot7
Division: B

Post by skillfullparrot7 »

luo wrote:[quote="hscmom"]Oh, and you should've seen the awards ceremony! They announced all the individual events (B and C) and then the B division winner but we had to

W
A
I
T

The Minnesota awards ceremony was extremely nerve-racking too! There was a little confusion in the results for Dynamic Planet, which lengthened the waiting time. Then, after announcing third place, the state director announced that only 7 points separated the first and second place teams. At that point, Eastview and Mounds View both totally freaked out. Mounds View ended up winning, but nicely, it turns out that Eastview gets to go to Nationals too because Washington DC declined their Nationals spot.[/quote]
You couldn't even imagine the kind of tension that was at our State competition about a month ago. Every team knew it was between us and Bearden. The whole place had to have been completely silent while the announcer was calling second. The tension made the air feel like molasses. I was biting my shirt, some people had their face covered,and the coaches couldn't even watch. They called Bearden second. A few claps there. Our whole team was about to burst out cheering but we had to keep it in until they called us to first. Then the announcer said,"I think you all have this figured out by now. 1st place, Fiendship Christian!" Then the whole auditorium completely erupted. I can't think of another word to describe it. I don't think I'll ever forget that.
"If it were easy, everyone would do it."
havenguy
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

Yeah, I don't think I'll experience anything like I did the time our team made nats for the first time. Most of my team members were crying. I wasn't as involved in SciOly then, so I didn't really comprehend how amazing that was.

This year, we definitely were happy to go to nats again, but there is nothing that can replace that feeling of last year.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

Return to “2011 Nationals”