Travel logistics

Locked
jjnv
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: December 5th, 2010, 2:26 pm
Division: B
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Travel logistics

Post by jjnv » April 5th, 2011, 7:55 am

We are a new team qualified for the Nationals. Most of families will fly to WI. How do teams get their equipment, especially the trebechet, there?

I am also trying to make arrangement for charter bus Wednesday evening from Milwaukee to Madison. Any team interested in sharing a ride?

Starapollo1
Member
Member
Posts: 244
Joined: January 16th, 2010, 1:55 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Travel logistics

Post by Starapollo1 » April 5th, 2011, 7:59 am

jjnv wrote:We are a new team qualified for the Nationals. Most of families will fly to WI. How do teams get their equipment, especially the trebechet, there?

I am also trying to make arrangement for charter bus Wednesday evening from Milwaukee to Madison. Any team interested in sharing a ride?
Most teams that I know have a parent or coach drive seperately from the team and put all the builds in the truck (usually a mini van or suburban). THe team usually travels by bus. But it all depends on where you are in relative location to the national site, lol if you are in florida, that could be an awful long drive :lol:
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

User avatar
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: March 7th, 2009, 7:14 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Turning and turning in the widening gyre
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Travel logistics

Post by paleonaps » April 5th, 2011, 12:19 pm

My dad drove from NY to IL last year.
It took about 24 hours.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

Starapollo1
Member
Member
Posts: 244
Joined: January 16th, 2010, 1:55 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Travel logistics

Post by Starapollo1 » April 5th, 2011, 12:39 pm

paleonaps wrote:My dad drove from NY to IL last year.
It took about 24 hours.
!? That is a long drive!!!!!!

My mom hauled all of our builds in her horse trailer to states :lol: it was pretty awesome when we pulled up to states and everyone looked at with big eyes :shock:
I think she is taking the horse trailer to nationals too, not positive though...
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

User avatar
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: March 7th, 2009, 7:14 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Turning and turning in the widening gyre
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Travel logistics

Post by paleonaps » April 5th, 2011, 12:47 pm

Tell her to bring a horse in it :D
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

Starapollo1
Member
Member
Posts: 244
Joined: January 16th, 2010, 1:55 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Travel logistics

Post by Starapollo1 » April 5th, 2011, 12:51 pm

paleonaps wrote:Tell her to bring a horse in it :D
That would be pretty epic! Espicially if I rode the horse around to all of my events, I guess on the one hand it would be really easy to tell who I was!
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

User avatar
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 1539
Joined: November 18th, 2009, 12:59 pm
Division: Grad
State: IA
Location: Des Moines
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Travel logistics

Post by zyzzyva980 » April 5th, 2011, 4:39 pm

paleonaps... it only takes about 10-12 hours to drive from Illinois to New York. (and maybe a few more hours to Wisconsin, to keep this relevant) I make the trip every year. (Of course I only go to Buffalo... it may be longer NYC)
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

JKrafsur
Member
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: March 19th, 2011, 9:45 pm
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Travel logistics

Post by JKrafsur » April 5th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Our team is in CO. I don't think we have much of a choice but to fly if we go. (States in a week and a half)
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?

User avatar
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: March 7th, 2009, 7:14 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Turning and turning in the widening gyre
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Travel logistics

Post by paleonaps » April 5th, 2011, 5:26 pm

Starapollo1 wrote:
paleonaps wrote:Tell her to bring a horse in it :D
That would be pretty epic! Espicially if I rode the horse around to all of my events, I guess on the one hand it would be really easy to tell who I was!
Ride a horse, with a shield, longsword, and chain mail, yelling things in middle English.
And Z, it adds a good few hours to get past NYC. Probably about (checks Google maps) six hours. Plus bathroom stops and food, and some sleep, and traffic, almost 24 hours.
EDIT: To me, it adds like 8, so it would take about a day.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

User avatar
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 478
Joined: January 28th, 2011, 1:26 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Travel logistics

Post by fishman100 » April 5th, 2011, 6:10 pm

paleonaps wrote:
Starapollo1 wrote:
paleonaps wrote:Tell her to bring a horse in it :D
That would be pretty epic! Espicially if I rode the horse around to all of my events, I guess on the one hand it would be really easy to tell who I was!
Ride a horse, with a shield, longsword, and chain mail, yelling things in middle English.
And Z, it adds a good few hours to get past NYC. Probably about (checks Google maps) six hours. Plus bathroom stops and food, and some sleep, and traffic, almost 24 hours.
EDIT: To me, it adds like 8, so it would take about a day.
This

The driving, for us, would take ~day or two. An airplane, however, takes only a few hours. But tickets are pricey!
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15

Locked

Return to “2011 Nationals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest