Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Travel logistics

Post by fishman100 »

I wanted to see a Brewers game while there, but it turns out we won't have the time :(

But at least I'll get to sample the cheese!
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

paleonaps wrote:No, that means you're EPIC.
Alas my mother has informed that the only horse available that week is 17 hands and approx. 1500lbs... thus if I bring the horse, she can't haul the builds :( ANd my team has already informed me that they want to bring the builds... sad day...
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
jjnv
Division: B
State: VA

Post by jjnv »

Interesting, looks like lots of teams will come on charter buses. We finalized our flight to Miwaukee. Now trying to decide whether to rent a car or charter a van to Madison. Price is about the same. Does anyone know if a car is necessary? Looks like we also have to pay for parking.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

Starapollo1 wrote:
paleonaps wrote:No, that means you're EPIC.
Alas my mother has informed that the only horse available that week is 17 hands and approx. 1500lbs... thus if I bring the horse, she can't haul the builds :( ANd my team has already informed me that they want to bring the builds... sad day...
So ride it from Tennessee to Wisconsin.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by kjhsscioly »

chalker wrote:You might also want to consider using something like UPS or FedEx to ship the devices. The cost isn't that bad as long as you do it ground freight. Way back in the early 90's when I was a competitor and we went to nationals at Arizona State University we shipped the Mission Possible devices in 2 rather large boxes (there wasn't the size limit then that there is now). These boxes were a bit bigger than a washing machine and yet didn't cost too much to get them there. Plus we packed them with shipping peanuts and had a blast pranking each other all weekend with the peanuts in various ways;)

I have to caution, don't ship mission possible or helicopter this way. It isn't worth it, because no matter how strong, something that complex and delicate will not make the trip.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

Yeah, don't do it. Transporting those is always difficult, but don't trust a company to do it. Drive it yourself (i.e. have your parents do it).
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

@paleonaps you mean ride it from INDIANA to Wisconsin??? ;)
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

kjhsscioly wrote:
chalker wrote:You might also want to consider using something like UPS or FedEx to ship the devices. The cost isn't that bad as long as you do it ground freight. Way back in the early 90's when I was a competitor and we went to nationals at Arizona State University we shipped the Mission Possible devices in 2 rather large boxes (there wasn't the size limit then that there is now). These boxes were a bit bigger than a washing machine and yet didn't cost too much to get them there. Plus we packed them with shipping peanuts and had a blast pranking each other all weekend with the peanuts in various ways;)

I have to caution, don't ship mission possible or helicopter this way. It isn't worth it, because no matter how strong, something that complex and delicate will not make the trip.
If you pack it carefully, yes it will. I personally can attest to that fact, since as I said above I did it many years ago. Have you a counterexample or are you just making an assumption?

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

I think that we did that once, with disastrous results, a few years back.
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by kjhsscioly »

chalker wrote:
kjhsscioly wrote:

If you pack it carefully, yes it will. I personally can attest to that fact, since as I said above I did it many years ago. Have you a counterexample or are you just making an assumption?
When we went to nationals, we had to check in some of our backup building events. The real ones, luckily survived the car ride (a few people drove), but the shipped ones were definitely shaken even though we marked them as delicate. The results were not pretty.

Return to “2011 Nationals”