Travel logistics

jjnv
Division: B
State: VA

Travel logistics

Postby jjnv » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:55 pm

We are a new team qualified for the Nationals. Most of families will fly to WI. How do teams get their equipment, especially the trebechet, there?

I am also trying to make arrangement for charter bus Wednesday evening from Milwaukee to Madison. Any team interested in sharing a ride?

Starapollo1
Division: Grad
State: IN

Re: Travel logistics

Postby Starapollo1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:59 pm

jjnv wrote:We are a new team qualified for the Nationals. Most of families will fly to WI. How do teams get their equipment, especially the trebechet, there?

I am also trying to make arrangement for charter bus Wednesday evening from Milwaukee to Madison. Any team interested in sharing a ride?

Most teams that I know have a parent or coach drive seperately from the team and put all the builds in the truck (usually a mini van or suburban). THe team usually travels by bus. But it all depends on where you are in relative location to the national site, lol if you are in florida, that could be an awful long drive :lol:
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby paleonaps » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:19 pm

My dad drove from NY to IL last year.
It took about 24 hours.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

Starapollo1

Postby Starapollo1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:39 pm

paleonaps wrote:My dad drove from NY to IL last year.
It took about 24 hours.

!? That is a long drive!!!!!!

My mom hauled all of our builds in her horse trailer to states :lol: it was pretty awesome when we pulled up to states and everyone looked at with big eyes :shock:
I think she is taking the horse trailer to nationals too, not positive though...
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby paleonaps » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:47 pm

Tell her to bring a horse in it :D
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist

Starapollo1

Postby Starapollo1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:51 pm

paleonaps wrote:Tell her to bring a horse in it :D

That would be pretty epic! Espicially if I rode the horse around to all of my events, I guess on the one hand it would be really easy to tell who I was!

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS

Postby zyzzyva980 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:39 pm

paleonaps... it only takes about 10-12 hours to drive from Illinois to New York. (and maybe a few more hours to Wisconsin, to keep this relevant) I make the trip every year. (Of course I only go to Buffalo... it may be longer NYC)
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: Wiki & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

JKrafsur
Division: C
State: CO

Postby JKrafsur » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:58 pm

Our team is in CO. I don't think we have much of a choice but to fly if we go. (States in a week and a half)
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby paleonaps » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:26 am

Starapollo1 wrote:

That would be pretty epic! Espicially if I rode the horse around to all of my events, I guess on the one hand it would be really easy to tell who I was!

Ride a horse, with a shield, longsword, and chain mail, yelling things in middle English.
And Z, it adds a good few hours to get past NYC. Probably about (checks Google maps) six hours. Plus bathroom stops and food, and some sleep, and traffic, almost 24 hours.
EDIT: To me, it adds like 8, so it would take about a day.
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist

fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Postby fishman100 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:10 am

paleonaps wrote:
Starapollo1 wrote:

Ride a horse, with a shield, longsword, and chain mail, yelling things in middle English.
And Z, it adds a good few hours to get past NYC. Probably about (checks Google maps) six hours. Plus bathroom stops and food, and some sleep, and traffic, almost 24 hours.

This

The driving, for us, would take ~day or two. An airplane, however, takes only a few hours. But tickets are pricey!
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15

chalker
State: OH

Postby chalker » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:38 am

You might also want to consider using something like UPS or FedEx to ship the devices. The cost isn't that bad as long as you do it ground freight. Way back in the early 90's when I was a competitor and we went to nationals at Arizona State University we shipped the Mission Possible devices in 2 rather large boxes (there wasn't the size limit then that there is now). These boxes were a bit bigger than a washing machine and yet didn't cost too much to get them there. Plus we packed them with shipping peanuts and had a blast pranking each other all weekend with the peanuts in various ways;)

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Starapollo1

Postby Starapollo1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:26 am

paleonaps wrote:
Starapollo1 wrote:

Is it wrong that i'm actually going to ask my mom about this in the morning?? lol :lol:

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby paleonaps » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:19 pm

No, that means you're EPIC.
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist

skillfullparrot7
State: CA

Postby skillfullparrot7 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:44 am

Our team's tentative plans are to drive on Tuesday and stop the first night somewhere in Illinois, then on the next day drive to Chicago. There we might be able to catch a White Sox game and go to a famous pizza place. Will stay there for the night. Then on Thursday we will drive the remainder of the trip to Madison, Wisconsin. Overall, we get an awesome trip.
"If it were easy, everyone would do it."

soccerisforlosers
State: AL

Postby soccerisforlosers » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:12 am

skillfullparrot7 wrote:Our team's tentative plans are to drive on Tuesday and stop the first night somewhere in Illinois, then on the next day drive to Chicago. There we might be able to catch a White Sox game and go to a famous pizza place. Will stay there for the night. Then on Thursday we will drive the remainder of the trip to Madison, Wisconsin. Overall, we get an awesome trip.

leaving on tuesday? wow
my team is leaving on wednesday on a charter bus and driving up to louisville, ky. on thursday, drive up to chicago and just do stuff there and go to good restaurants amd finish the drive up to madison that evening.

and pizzeria uno is the place we went to last year in chicago for pizza. it was really good.
2011 State:
Towers 1st
Dynamic Planet 1st
Meteorology 2nd
Experimental Design 4th
Awesome Aquifers 1st
Bottle Rocket 5th
Team 1st

2011 Nationals
Meteorology
Dynamic Planet
Road Scholar