soccerisforlosers
Division: B
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scioly.org Swap Meet Table

Post by soccerisforlosers »

bam wrote:
paleonaps wrote:Meh, I think a table is better. We should all just flock there and forget the swap meet (I personally will give everything in my bag away for a cheese hat, then make a beeline for the table).
Totally understood. But it is super hard to get a cheese hat.....last year, at nats, i personally walked up to everyone with a cheese hat, willing to trade all the swapping stuff I had (plus a box of tastycakes) but no one wanted to give it up!!!
i know! ive failed the last 2 yrs trying to get a cheesehead. maybe since nats is in wisconsin, they'll have it on sale or something.
2011 State:
Towers 1st
Dynamic Planet 1st
Meteorology 2nd
Experimental Design 4th
Awesome Aquifers 1st
Bottle Rocket 5th
Team 1st

2011 Nationals
Meteorology
Dynamic Planet
Road Scholar
prelude to death
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by prelude to death »

paleonaps wrote:I've decided on a greeting we should use for each other:

Stand facing each other, feet shoulder-width apart.
Slowly raise arms, put on each other's shoulders.
Stare each other in eyes for 5 seconds.
Start conversation.
What happens if you think you've got the right person, but you don't? Wow.... if I wasn't a member on this site and I was going to Nats and someone did that to me, I'd probably freak out.
"I like a quiet life, you know me."
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

haha yeah, oh look... pepper spray...
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MN

Post by Luo »

If you participated in Minnesota Science Olympiad, you'd be used to this level of awkwardness.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

luo wrote:If you participated in Minnesota Science Olympiad, you'd be used to this level of awkwardness.
Oh, no kidding.

But it can't turn out too horribly as long as we have clearly identified ourselves as scioly.org people and we've read this thread... I mean, come on, after reading this will you really be surprised if that happens to you?
soccerisforlosers
State: AL

Post by soccerisforlosers »

yeah i would haha. id be like "What the heck... get away from me!"
2011 State:
Towers 1st
Dynamic Planet 1st
Meteorology 2nd
Experimental Design 4th
Awesome Aquifers 1st
Bottle Rocket 5th
Team 1st

2011 Nationals
Meteorology
Dynamic Planet
Road Scholar
alecfxl

Post by alecfxl »

Kokonilly wrote:
bam wrote:Totally understood. But it is super hard to get a cheese hat.....last year, at nats, i personally walked up to everyone with a cheese hat, willing to trade all the swapping stuff I had (plus a box of tastycakes) but no one wanted to give it up!!!
Oh I know, right? Those darn Wisconsinites.
Gotta understand that those hats retail for $20 ($21 with tax). Question is what do you have that's worth $20+ and interesting enough to someone else who knows they have probably the most sought after item. Also, multiple students complained about others trying to steal the hats off their heads. One actually had one stolen (cowboy hat, not cheesehead).

Even though it's in WI, it doesn't mean they'll have a stash of them. It's not as if the university makes them.

However, I have recommended to the local school representing WI that they buy enough so each student can keep 1 and have 1 to trade so bring your best stuff.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

alecfxl wrote:
Kokonilly wrote:
bam wrote:Totally understood. But it is super hard to get a cheese hat.....last year, at nats, i personally walked up to everyone with a cheese hat, willing to trade all the swapping stuff I had (plus a box of tastycakes) but no one wanted to give it up!!!
Oh I know, right? Those darn Wisconsinites.
Gotta understand that those hats retail for $20 ($21 with tax). Question is what do you have that's worth $20+ and interesting enough to someone else who knows they have probably the most sought after item. Also, multiple students complained about others trying to steal the hats off their heads. One actually had one stolen (cowboy hat, not cheesehead).

Even though it's in WI, it doesn't mean they'll have a stash of them. It's not as if the university makes them.

However, I have recommended to the local school representing WI that they buy enough so each student can keep 1 and have 1 to trade so bring your best stuff.
Plenty of places around campus to buy your own... The Pipefitter 520 State Street http://pipefittermadison.com/index.php? ... x&cPath=23
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

I'm buying my own and ditching the swap meet altogether. Some lucky guy is getting a bag full of goodies for a Livestrong band (which some jerk wouldn't give me last year).
The greeting would only be used at the table, not randomly around the swap meet. Although we could have a test...maybe put our hands up in a surrender position?
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

No, no surrender motion. Just do the awkward staring thing.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

Return to “2011 Nationals”