Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Funny Stories from Nationals

Post by Kokonilly »

haverstall wrote:
Kokonilly wrote:
RespectTheBlade wrote:My roommate got me up at 5:45 on thursday. Why? He forgot about the time change coming from Indiana and thought it was 6:45.
...I woke up to my Fossils partner tackling me, but when I didn't move quickly enough, Dox tackled me instead and Jazzy said something.
What are Dox and Jazzy doing in your room....?
Good question. I was still asleep when they came in, so...
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

Awkward palm tree.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

paleonaps wrote:Awkward palm tree.
Indeed. I have nothing to say in their defense.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

Did they have a key, or...did they lock themselves in there?
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

I was the last to go to sleep, and they were definitely not in the room when I went to bed. Don't ask me.

And coming out of Fossils, my partner and I split up (she went to get her bag from the team room), so I went to go to Sumo Bot finals and wound up running into Varanus. I thought he knew where he was going, and he thought I knew where I was going, and we got really lost, eventually ending up at the Helicopters building (which, curiously, I had been trying to find for a good portion of the day).
I am terrible at directions.
googlyfrog
Division: C
State: PA

Post by googlyfrog »

fishman100 wrote:I think for Wright Stuff or Flying Bird they called us Kilmer High School in New York? :S
That makes so much more sense. Our whole team was soooo confused because we competed previously at an invitational with Kilmer Middle School. Which we thought was in Virginia. And when we heard "From New York...Kilmer High School!" we were very very confused.
germinator wrote:
googlyfrog wrote:Aww. My story isn't so much funny as it is failure. But here goes:
For fossils, I was hanging outside the room that said clearly "FOSSILS" and I was there early and studying my binder. This lady came to check what school we were from, and we told her Strath Haven. She looked up and down her list and couldn't find anything and we got really anxious. Then she asked what our team number was, and we said 47. She said, "oh ok, so you're Centerville High School?" and I said "...High School? C DIVISION?!" She confirmed this, and it was 11:59 (fossils started at 12 for us) and we bolted down the hallway to the B Division room while they were JUST about to start the first station. I was in disbelief that we had gotten the room number wrong and I walked in and really dumbly said..."oh...sorry...we were just hanging with C division" and sauntered over to a station. Luckily they still let us compete even though we were a little late and they had to repeat instructions for us.
And was it just me, or was the WIDI room REALLLLLLLLLLLLY hard to find?!??!?!
oh.. THAT WAS YOU?? hahaha
lucky you guys got in in time
Yep, that was me! This stuff always seems to happen to me. I was so worried we'd miss it, and then once I got to my first station, I wish we had, lol. That test was pretty hard for us.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

If you guys don't mind I'm gonna share a story from last year at nationals.

So after checking in and everything with our team on Friday. One of last years seniors and I decided to go find the pizza party/engineering fair thing. We spent about 15 minutes walking around the campus trying to find it. We ended up on the wrong side of campus before we finally figured it out. Once we got to the pizza party thing we realized we needed vouchers which we didn't have since our coach forgot to give them to us. So we walk all the way back to the dorms thinking that perhaps the cafeteria there would be open. So we walk all the way back across campus to get there and find out that they weren't open. At this point, my friend and I are starving, and to make matters worse, Ultimate Frisbee was scheduled to begin soon. So we ended up going downstairs to the vending machines in the basement of the dorms, I think we nearly stepped on LASA's Mousetrap vehicle on the way, and got a snack size bag of chips for each of us before catching a ride with a coach instead of having to walk for a good mile or so to get to the Ultimate fields. So I ended up playing Ultimate, having only eaten a small bag of lays potato chips and a bottle of water (thanks to the U of I for those water bottles, thanks to them I was only starving, and not dehydrated)

It seems kinda funny now, but when it happened, I was not happy.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
MurphBoy37
State: IL

Post by MurphBoy37 »

At the awards ceremony my friend brought an air horn and he honked it to test if it worked. The team sitting in front of us got mad at us and told us to settle down so my friend honked the horn in his ear. :lol:
2013 Events
Dynamic Planet
Rocks & Minerals
Material Science
Water Quality
808girl
State: HI

Post by 808girl »

One of my teammates bought 30 lbs of cheese to bring back to Hawaii.....
100$ worth of cheese....

OH and
when the hotel cleaning service went into the guy's room, they said "AIII CARIIBAAA!" like 10x. It was THAT bad. hahahahaha
1st Time Science Olympiad-er!
2nd in Regionals and 1st in States........last in Nationals? haha

Events: Anatomy, Disease, Ecology, Experimental Design (?)
germinator
State: IL

Post by germinator »

MurphBoy37 wrote:At the awards ceremony my friend brought an air horn and he honked it to test if it worked. The team sitting in front of us got mad at us and told us to settle down so my friend honked the horn in his ear. :lol:
josh park?
don't drink and drive; you might hit a bump and spill your drink

Return to “2011 Nationals”