Infinity Flat
Division: Grad
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Event and Team Placing Correlations

Post by Infinity Flat »

luo wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:The "event history chart" from the soinc.org page only goes up to 2007, so I'd need some info on 08. 09, and 2010 first.
For that, you could look at the Nationals results spreadsheets from those years. Remember to count name-changed events (i.e. Reach for the Stars / Astronomy) as the same event.
What about events that changed topics? Dynamic Planet, for example, could be considered a new event in my opinion.

Also, I've added in the mean deviations counting only the top 6 division C teams. Working on the same for division B.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

Infinity Flat wrote:What about events that changed topics? Dynamic Planet, for example, could be considered a new event in my opinion.
Hm, that is a very good point. However, it might be hard to distinguish between major topic changes that would constitute an entirely different event vs. minor topic changes that only change a focus. For example, the Astronomy topic changes are actually quite major, but the premise of the underlying event stays the same. Where would you draw the line?
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
Infinity Flat
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Infinity Flat »

luo wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:What about events that changed topics? Dynamic Planet, for example, could be considered a new event in my opinion.
Hm, that is a very good point. However, it might be hard to distinguish between major topic changes that would constitute an entirely different event vs. minor topic changes that only change a focus. For example, the Astronomy topic changes are actually quite major, but the premise of the underlying event stays the same. Where would you draw the line?
I'm really not sure, especially since there are so many events I'm unfamiliar with. :?
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

Return to “2011 Nationals”