Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

All-Time Greats?

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

If you look throughout the history of Science Olympiad National Tournaments, it seems as though a few teams consistently pop up throughout the years:

In Div. C:
Troy (8 Nat'l Titles)
Harriton (3)
Grand Haven (3)
Centerville (2)
Solon (2)
Fayetteville-Manlius (1)

In Div. B:
Booth (9)
Solon (4)
Community (or WWP) (2)
Thomas Jefferson (1)
Rising Starr (1)

How would you rank these teams in consistency of performance at the national tournament or prestige? Feel free to add other teams, I only included those with national championships and have consistently been to the national tournament.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
dontsenditinthemail

Re: All-Time Greats?

Post by dontsenditinthemail »

I think in the past several years Centerville and Troy have to be the top 2 in division C based on their amazing performances (even in the years they didn't actually win). As for over the past 10-12 years, it's hard to differentiate, all of those teams have amazing accomplishments and numerous top 5 and top 10 finishes at the national tournament. I'd probably give the edge to Troy just based on number of national championships, but each of those teams goes down as one of the best in scioly history.

As for division B I would say in the past 5-6 years Solon would be my number one given that they have the string of national championships (and before that they placed in the top 5 three years in a row or something like that). As for all time I think I'd say Booth and then Solon because of the fact that before 2004 Solon Middle School only sporadically made it to nationals. Solon Middle School became a national powerhouse when it placed 5th in 2004, before then I don't believe it had placed top 10 at the national level. However, the past ~6 years have catapulted them into the spotlight, and their accomplishments have been among the best scioly has seen, so I still put them at number two.

As for the best scioly PROGRAM, aka Middle and High School teams, or high school teams and the feeder middle schools that provide new students for the high school teams, I believe Solon and Centerville, the two Ohio teams, have proven themselves to have the best program in the country and in the history of scioly.
tornado guy
Division: C
State: WA

Re: All-Time Greats?

Post by tornado guy »

I would give Booth the nod for B division. Based on how many 1st places they have gotten at Nationals, and how they still consistently place usually in top 5 every year for the past few years.

In C division I'd give Centerville an edge over Troy just since for the past years Centerville has done very well at Nationals, with many 1st places and then this year a close 2nd.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

Return to “2011 Nationals”