Jdogg
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by Jdogg »

iwonder wrote:
Balsa Man wrote:Correct, v vs t is NOT linear, at any point after leaving the ramp. When v is higher, it is closer, but the plot is still a curve.
This may be a stupid question... but wouldn't v vs t be linear because of the constant deceleration? I don't see how the forces acting on the vehicle change with the distance it's traveled to produce a curved v vs t... certainly a curved x vs t however.
That's not a stupid question, since your right :D
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
buzzbuzz
Division: C
State: KS

Post by buzzbuzz »

Does anyone know the distance from nationals and any approximate times/distance scores that placed well?
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

Jdogg wrote:
iwonder wrote:
Balsa Man wrote:Correct, v vs t is NOT linear, at any point after leaving the ramp. When v is higher, it is closer, but the plot is still a curve.
This may be a stupid question... but wouldn't v vs t be linear because of the constant deceleration? I don't see how the forces acting on the vehicle change with the distance it's traveled to produce a curved v vs t... certainly a curved x vs t however.
That's not a stupid question, since your right :D
There will be some non linearity however, as for example air resistance is proportional to the square of velocity.
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

buzzbuzz wrote:Does anyone know the distance from nationals and any approximate times/distance scores that placed well?
Distance was around 916 cm from what I heard; perhaps bear will clarify this?
I was there during the last session and saw Grand Haven and Solon's vehicles; both impressive. I think Grand Haven must have hit the Target Point on their 2nd run since I saw one of the team members do a fist pump or something when he was retrieving the vehicle.
Did anyone see Rustin's runs? I was at an invite with them earlier this year, and even then they had a really great vehicle. (Saw their ramp at nats, and from what I could tell they didn't change their design.)
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

fishman100 wrote:
buzzbuzz wrote:Does anyone know the distance from nationals and any approximate times/distance scores that placed well?
Distance was around 916 cm from what I heard; perhaps bear will clarify this?
I was there during the last session and saw Grand Haven and Solon's vehicles; both impressive. I think Grand Haven must have hit the Target Point on their 2nd run since I saw one of the team members do a fist pump or something when he was retrieving the vehicle.
Did anyone see Rustin's runs? I was at an invite with them earlier this year, and even then they had a really great vehicle. (Saw their ramp at nats, and from what I could tell they didn't change their design.)
1st place score was very close to 160 points. About 3 seconds and less than a cm.
ahoback
State: KY

Post by ahoback »

Hey I know it's the middle of the summer, but what have you guy found to be the best way to line up the ramp and vehicle accurately? Laser levels, scopes, ect... Thanks!!! :D
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Sadly laser levels(which would be best it seems) aren't allowed by last seasons rules, but we always just lined up with the dot on the starting line and were able to(with our ramp design, pretty typical) sight down the edge of the ramp material to the dot, our paperclip also tracked down the edge of the ramp, so it lined up. We ended up passing directly over(I'm not kidding) the target mark at state, we ended up 5cm away, due 'north' of the target point. No need for anything fancy like what was used in electric vehicle it seems, just being patient and very, very OCD(I'm good at that :D).

On another note, what kinds of things do people think are going to be added to the rules this year? I'm thinking either a lateral movement of the target point(which might make ramps interesting.. ehh) or adjusting the ramp height(which makes the time prediction very, very interesting). The benefit of the variable ramp height is that it helps to solve the problem balsa man had earlier about timing and length, because ES's with shorter courses can adjust the run time accordingly, and those with longer spaces can do the opposite(which helps keep the interest in the event with higher speeds that was mentioned earlier). Anyone want to give us a hint?
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

iwonder wrote: Anyone want to give us a hint?
Yes, lots of us want to... but we really can't at this point;)

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
ahoback
State: KY

Post by ahoback »

Will they be presented at the Summer Institute?
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

ahoback wrote:Will they be presented at the Summer Institute?
Draft rules are generally distributed to the coaches at the Summer Institute.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director

Return to “2012 Build Events”