Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Gravity Vehicle C

Postby Jim_R » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Discussion for Gravity Vehicle C

Gravity Vehicle Wiki
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.

Danny Smith
Division: C
State: OH

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Postby Danny Smith » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:58 pm

It seems like there are two ideas about gravity vehicle going around. One idea was that the car would be propelled by a falling mass, presumably pulling a string to turn the wheels. But other sources say like an eggless scrambler. From my kowledge of scramblers, they were pushed by a swinging mass of some kind, but then just coasted. So which is more accurate? Does the power source travel with the car? Just so I can begin to conceptualize some plans.

chalker7
State: CA

Postby chalker7 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:05 pm

Danny Smith wrote:It seems like there are two ideas about gravity vehicle going around. One idea was that the car would be propelled by a falling mass, presumably pulling a string to turn the wheels. But other sources say like an eggless scrambler. From my kowledge of scramblers, they were pushed by a swinging mass of some kind, but then just coasted. So which is more accurate? Does the power source travel with the car? Just so I can begin to conceptualize some plans.

The second one is closer, but still not quite there. It will be a vehicle travelling down a ramp, propelled solely by its own mass.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters

Danny Smith

Postby Danny Smith » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:36 am

chalker7 wrote:The second one is closer, but still not quite there. It will be a vehicle travelling down a ramp, propelled solely by its own mass.

Will we be building the ramp, or will we just build the cars that roll down a standard ramp for everyone? This isnt what i expected.

chalker7

Postby chalker7 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:51 am

Danny Smith wrote:
chalker7 wrote:The second one is closer, but still not quite there. It will be a vehicle travelling down a ramp, propelled solely by its own mass.

Will we be building the ramp, or will we just build the cars that roll down a standard ramp for everyone? This isnt what i expected.

You build everything.

illusionist
State: MI

Postby illusionist » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:15 am

awww man. come on chalker, I expected to build some crazy-complex thing that uses a falling mass that is mounted on the vehicle with like 29 pulleys....
way to rain on my parade =P

So a ramp huh? is it steep? will there be a set pitch for the surface?
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

chalker7

Postby chalker7 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:18 am

illusionist wrote:awww man. come on chalker, I expected to build some crazy-complex thing that uses a falling mass that is mounted on the vehicle with like 29 pulleys....

So a ramp huh? is it steep? will there be a set pitch for the surface?

There are maximum external dimensions, but beyond that it's up to your own design.

illusionist

Postby illusionist » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:22 am

woohoo! no limits. I like it
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

hmcginny
State: PA

Postby hmcginny » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:09 am

any hints on what the scoring will be like? is it just hitting a point as quickly and accurately as possible?
Harriton 2013 (Captain 2012-2013)
Penn 2017

2014 PA State Compound Machines Supervisor

Past Events: Fermi, Thermo, WIDI, Maglev, TPS, Chem Lab, Mission, Sounds, Trajectory, Mousetrap, etc.

starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Postby starpug » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:06 am

Can we all just wait for the rules to come out?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

chalker

Postby chalker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:11 am

illusionist wrote:awww man. come on chalker, I expected to build some crazy-complex thing that uses a falling mass that is mounted on the vehicle with like 29 pulleys....

Just wanted to point out it's my brother 'chalker7' that's raining on your parade. As for myself, 'chalker', it's always sunny, just like in philly;)

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

chalker

Postby chalker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:13 am

hmcginny wrote:any hints on what the scoring will be like? is it just hitting a point as quickly and accurately as possible?

Yes, measurements of various types will be made, and those will go into a formula to calculate the result. Low score wins;)

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

bearasauras
State: -

Postby bearasauras » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:37 am

chalker wrote:
hmcginny wrote:any hints on what the scoring will be like? is it just hitting a point as quickly and accurately as possible?

Yes, measurements of various types will be made, and those will go into a formula to calculate the result. Low score wins;)

Yes, and ideally you'll want your vehicle to go as quickly, as accurately and as close to your predicted time as possible
Last edited by bearasauras on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Postby Luo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:39 am

bearasauras wrote:
chalker wrote:

Yes, and ideally you'll want your vehicle to go as quickly, as accurately and as close to your predicted time as possible

Not to mention, heh, that you use gravitational potential energy as the vehicle's sole means of propulsion to reach a Target Point after, in fact, you design, build and test one vehicle and ramp. :P
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

illusionist

Postby illusionist » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:23 pm

starpug wrote:Can we all just wait for the rules to come out?

no. we're too excited. not to gain an advantage, but plain excitement

Return to “2012 Build Events”