Mousetrap Vehicle B

XJcwolfyX
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by XJcwolfyX »

I think the rules just simply say that you may use screws, and they do not need to be glued down like last year in the high school division.
Medal Counter: 73
PaulJ
Division: B
State: CA

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B rules

Post by PaulJ »

chalker7 wrote:
PaulJ wrote:Can the mousetrap be glued to the vehicle? The rules imply that you need to use screws.

paul
Submit an official clarification through soinc.org (this is not the place for official rules clarifications, nothing said on this site is enforceable).

That being said, which line do you think implies only screws are permissible? I don't think I can find anything that says only screws are allowed.
The line is "Up to four (4) holes may be drilled in the mousetrap for attachment to the chassis only."
gorf250
Division: Grad

Post by gorf250 »

So does anybody have any ideas/thoughts about which brand of mousetrap works best?
#AllSevenYears
illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

gorf250 wrote:So does anybody have any ideas/thoughts about which brand of mousetrap works best?
The two most common choices are Victor and Tomcat. In my personal opinion, Victors last longer and are slightly more consistent, while Tomcats are more powerful initially, but lose the power much faster than the Victors. Honestly though, I've used both and there might have been a fraction of a second difference over repeated trials with the Tomcats. Try both, see how it works for you. Unless you are in an extremely competitive regional, I don't think it will matter too much at this point what mousetrap brand you choose.
lenkagamine

Post by lenkagamine »

I have a question-- i just read the rules but i am still confused. I have looked at past years' videos and hey have the mousetrap stop, then switch directions, then start again. Do we do that this year, or is it just a strait path?
★☻☮♥♫♪☯☺☆ Events: Reach 4 the Stars, Compute This, and Mission Possible
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

lenkagamine wrote:I have a question-- i just read the rules but i am still confused. I have looked at past years' videos and hey have the mousetrap stop, then switch directions, then start again. Do we do that this year, or is it just a strait path?
The rules change from year to year. The videos you saw were of the past few year's high school rules. Carefully read the printed rules, in particular the "competition" section that describes the goal of the event.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
Sunshine Ninja
State: NC

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B rules

Post by Sunshine Ninja »

PaulJ wrote:
chalker7 wrote:
PaulJ wrote:Can the mousetrap be glued to the vehicle? The rules imply that you need to use screws.

paul
Submit an official clarification through soinc.org (this is not the place for official rules clarifications, nothing said on this site is enforceable).

That being said, which line do you think implies only screws are permissible? I don't think I can find anything that says only screws are allowed.
The line is "Up to four (4) holes may be drilled in the mousetrap for attachment to the chassis only."

Does this count screws used to attach the axial and to attach the two boards?
2012 stats:
Mousetrap vehicle: reg. 4th,
Heredity: reg. 2nd,
Forestry: reg.1st :),
Team: reg. 1st!!!,

Past events: Ornithology (2), Food science, Elevated bridge, Optics, Junkyard Challenge

States in two days....kill me now
lenkagamine

Post by lenkagamine »

chalker7 wrote:
lenkagamine wrote:I have a question-- i just read the rules but i am still confused. I have looked at past years' videos and hey have the mousetrap stop, then switch directions, then start again. Do we do that this year, or is it just a strait path?
The rules change from year to year. The videos you saw were of the past few year's high school rules. Carefully read the printed rules, in particular the "competition" section that describes the goal of the event.
Thanks! I missed that section. I still can't find a good mousetrap though... mine is weak and can't support the weight of the arm. Any suggestions?
★☻☮♥♫♪☯☺☆ Events: Reach 4 the Stars, Compute This, and Mission Possible
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

lenkagamine wrote: Thanks! I missed that section. I still can't find a good mousetrap though... mine is weak and can't support the weight of the arm. Any suggestions?
Two options, first try to find some stronger mousetraps. Generic ones that come in kits and such are probably weaker than name brand ones you can purchase at hardware stores. Second, I imagine your arm is too heavy, you want it to be as light and stiff as possible. Also, the length of the arm can seriously affect the vehicle. You might want to shorten the arm. What are you using for a material and how long is it?
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
mustang20
State: KS

Post by mustang20 »

I just won 1st in mousetrap veacle:mrgreen:

Return to “2012 Build Events”