SirBobo
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by SirBobo »

Wongio123 wrote:Are you allowed to have two mousetraps this year or just one
This year it is just one. The only reason you would need two mousetraps is if you want to go out and back.
I am SirBobo and I approve this message

"Insert meaningful quote here"

Image Image
qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa
State: NY

Post by qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa »

Do u guys have any suggestions on how to make the vehicle go more straight?
illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa wrote:Do u guys have any suggestions on how to make the vehicle go more straight?
Take a look at this first: http://scioly.org/wiki/Mousetrap_Vehicl ... o_Straight
Might be helpful to read the rest of that page as well
SirBobo

Post by SirBobo »

What is a good sighting device i could use? Right now, i have a target that i place at the end, is that good?

Image Image
Pauly_Rocks
State: MA

Post by Pauly_Rocks »

Anyone have any ideas on how to make the vehicles go faster without making it lighter? My car was averaging about 20 sec. per run today which is really slow, although it might just be that I needed a new mousetrap to put on, the one I was using was pretty old. Any suggestions? ;) thanks
Been there.
Done that.

Events I've been on: Elevated Bridge (1 yr.), Ornithology (2 yr.), Battery Buggy (2 yr.), Optics (2 yr.), Mousetrap Vehicle (1 yr.), Awesome Aquifers (1 yr.)

Rawr.
Pauly_Rocks
State: MA

Post by Pauly_Rocks »

SirBobo wrote:What is a good sighting device i could use? Right now, i have a target that i place at the end, is that good?
Well, you could try using a scope, but that is pretty heavy. Last year on Battery Buggy, I put two light rods (can be made of wood, metal, etc.) through the center of our vehicle: one in the front and one in back. Then I used a string to align the rods with the finish dot, so that it would run straight. Hope this helps! :)
Been there.
Done that.

Events I've been on: Elevated Bridge (1 yr.), Ornithology (2 yr.), Battery Buggy (2 yr.), Optics (2 yr.), Mousetrap Vehicle (1 yr.), Awesome Aquifers (1 yr.)

Rawr.
illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Pauly_Rocks wrote:Anyone have any ideas on how to make the vehicles go faster without making it lighter? My car was averaging about 20 sec. per run today which is really slow, although it might just be that I needed a new mousetrap to put on, the one I was using was pretty old. Any suggestions? ;) thanks
Try altering the thickness of the axle onto which you're winding the string. You could also try adjusting the pull arm length. Keep in mind that changing either one of those things will change your distance calibration.
qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa
State: NY

Post by qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa »

I had the same problem, I'm not sure how you can make it go faster without lightning it up a bit. We ended up taking the vehicle apart and substituting parts for lighter versions. That helped quite a bit. This probably wasn't very helpful :/ sorry. By the way, when the trigger is pressed on my mousetrap vehicle, the vehicle jumps a little, tilting it to the side and causing it to turn to the left slightly. It also jumps when the lever arm connected to the mousetrap hits the ground. Is this happening to anybody else?
SirBobo

Post by SirBobo »

Pauly_Rocks wrote:Anyone have any ideas on how to make the vehicles go faster without making it lighter? My car was averaging about 20 sec. per run today which is really slow, although it might just be that I needed a new mousetrap to put on, the one I was using was pretty old. Any suggestions? ;) thanks
Why wouldn't you want it lighter?

Image Image

Return to “2012 Build Events”