Mousetrap Vehicle B

qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Postby qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:51 pm

86F3TDNR wrote:
StrongWind wrote:I am getting my vehicle to go 9 seconds. What are your times?

I've seen that most vehicles that win are somewhere between 7-10 seconds (of course, accuracy matters a lot too). What would you guys consider a 'good' time?

My vehicle is around 10 seconds, but were going to make it faster before states. At on invitational, the winning team had a score around 60... :shock:

SirBobo
State: CA

Postby SirBobo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:49 pm

86F3TDNR wrote:
StrongWind wrote:I am getting my vehicle to go 9 seconds. What are your times?

I've seen that most vehicles that win are somewhere between 7-10 seconds (of course, accuracy matters a lot too). What would you guys consider a 'good' time?

A good time is the shortest time you can get that is possible and it needs to be consistent.

EDIT: i realized that i didn't answer your question. For a car with a wood chassis, 8-11 would be a good target
I am SirBobo and I approve this message

"Insert meaningful quote here"

Image Image

mtheleman
State: KS

Postby mtheleman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:21 pm

Pauly_Rocks wrote:Anyone have any ideas on how to make the vehicles go faster without making it lighter? My car was averaging about 20 sec. per run today which is really slow, although it might just be that I needed a new mousetrap to put on, the one I was using was pretty old. Any suggestions? ;) thanks

I would check to see if your wheels spin freely. There may be friction that you can remove. Also, the location of the mousetrap and the length of the arm can change speeds. You may try setting your vehicle up with a little bit of slack in the string so the mousetrap moves the arm a little bit before it moves the vehicle.
Michael Phelps trains with Chuck Norris swimming behind him.

mousetrapfury
State: NC

Mousetrap Vehicle Sighting

Postby mousetrapfury » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:57 pm

what is a good sighting device :?: really having trouble :D

Pauly_Rocks
State: MA

Postby Pauly_Rocks » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:50 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I made a few changes to the vehicle and got a different mousetrap, so it's going about 14 - 18 seconds now. :| Hopefully we'll get it better.
Been there.
Done that.

Events I've been on: Elevated Bridge (1 yr.), Ornithology (2 yr.), Battery Buggy (2 yr.), Optics (2 yr.), Mousetrap Vehicle (1 yr.), Awesome Aquifers (1 yr.)

Rawr.

SirBobo

Postby SirBobo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:34 am

Pauly_Rocks wrote:Thanks for your suggestions. I made a few changes to the vehicle and got a different mousetrap, so it's going about 14 - 18 seconds now. :| Hopefully we'll get it better.

Make sure the new trap is legal.

Image Image

mustang20
State: KS

Postby mustang20 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:47 pm

Yeah, my mousetrap placed 4th in ks ar the regional! and my team is going to state! :mrgreen:

lolman
State: MS

Postby lolman » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:07 pm

I NEED HELP DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY DESIGNS YOU COULD SHARE BECAUSE I HAVENT DONE THIS EVER AND I WANT SOME HELP :oops:

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby chalker » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:09 pm

lolman wrote:I NEED HELP DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY DESIGNS YOU COULD SHARE BECAUSE I HAVENT DONE THIS EVER AND I WANT SOME HELP :oops:

First, please don't type in all caps.. it's annoying to most people and makes it less like people will reply to you.
Regarding help, first thing you need to do is read the rules, then re-read them again a couple times to ensure you understand them. Next, click on the Wiki link at the top of this page and review the mousetrap vehicle wiki page.

Then come back and ask some specific questions and you'll likely get good help. Good luck!

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

ttboy99
State: PA

Postby ttboy99 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:06 pm

How are you attaching the wheels (CD's in our case) to the axles?

illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Postby illusionist » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:36 pm

ttboy99 wrote:How are you attaching the wheels (CD's in our case) to the axles?

One of my favorite methods has been to get some rubber washers from Home Depot (they're shaped like a truncated cone), with 3/4-1 inch outer diameter and a 1/4 inch hole in the middle. You may need to do some sanding, but you should be able to snugly fit inside the CD and on your axle.

Another option is to get/make small wooden disks ~2inch in diameter, drill a hole in the center of them to put the axle through, then glue the disks to each side of the CD, forming a sandwich.

For both methods, secure the CD so that it doesn't move side-to-side.
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

Sunshine Ninja

Postby Sunshine Ninja » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:26 pm

OUR CAR DESIDED NOT TO MOVE @ REGINALS! We have been getting a score of around 180-ish, which would have won regional.

However, so many teams were 2nd tiered,(or had the same problem as us we got 4th!?!

I think the problem was the floor it was run on, a rubber composite. We had been testing on tial and wood.
2012 stats:
Mousetrap vehicle: reg. 4th,
Heredity: reg. 2nd,
Forestry: reg.1st :),
Team: reg. 1st!!!,

Past events: Ornithology (2), Food science, Elevated bridge, Optics, Junkyard Challenge

States in two days....kill me now

SirBobo

Postby SirBobo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Sunshine Ninja wrote:OUR CAR DESIDED NOT TO MOVE @ REGINALS! We have been getting a score of around 180-ish, which would have won regional.

However, so many teams were 2nd tiered,(or had the same problem as us we got 4th!?!

I think the problem was the floor it was run on, a rubber composite. We had been testing on tial and wood.

Maybe next time you should test on all surfaces. ;)

Image Image

bearasauras

Postby bearasauras » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Sunshine Ninja wrote:OUR CAR DESIDED NOT TO MOVE @ REGINALS! We have been getting a score of around 180-ish, which would have won regional.

I'm surprised that you guys got 4th place because if your vehicle didn't move, then your team would have been in tier 4.

Sunshine Ninja

Postby Sunshine Ninja » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:47 pm

bearasauras wrote:

I'm surprised that you guys got 4th place because if your vehicle didn't move, then your team would have been in tier 4.

It went three feet
2012 stats:
Mousetrap vehicle: reg. 4th,
Heredity: reg. 2nd,
Forestry: reg.1st :),
Team: reg. 1st!!!,

Past events: Ornithology (2), Food science, Elevated bridge, Optics, Junkyard Challenge

States in two days....kill me now

Return to “2012 Build Events”