Robot Arm C

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by chalker »

lucasbrackins wrote:in the rules it says you get 4 points for putting a pvc pipe in the east goal box and less for the north and west boxes does this mean 4 points for each one no matter how many you put or 4 for only one
It's actually 3 points, not 4. But yes, you get 3 points per each one.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
lucasbrackins
Division: C
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by lucasbrackins »

Ok thank you. Somethink that doesnt make sence to me is you get more points closer versus across the play field
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

lucasbrackins wrote:Ok thank you. Somethink that doesnt make sence to me is you get more points closer versus across the play field
I think you are over analyzing things. We just wanted to reward grouping things together, not necessarily making you move everything as far as possible. But that is something to consider for the rules next year....

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
lucasbrackins

Post by lucasbrackins »

Can items enter the 30x30 square that is for the robot arm
And my base is 30x30 can the edge of my base be used to push the batteries against to get a grip
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Again, not the place for clarifications

Read the rules carefully, I don't see anywhere they say your piece doesn't count if in the robot box, only if they leave the main playing field AND touch down. They can leave the main playing field if they never touch the surface.

Warning, you should think of making your base (or any SO device) slighty smaller than any max or larger than any minimum. There is always uncertainty in measuring and in general, little is to be gained by pushing the limits of dimensions in the rules, and much to be lost by violating them. So consider making your robot base say 29.9 or 29.8, even 29.5 cm instead of 30 cm to make SURE you don't get second tiered because you and the judge overlapped in the uncertainty area of measurement.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Primate
State: NY

Post by Primate »

chalker wrote:
lucasbrackins wrote:Ok thank you. Somethink that doesnt make sence to me is you get more points closer versus across the play field
I think you are over analyzing things. We just wanted to reward grouping things together, not necessarily making you move everything as far as possible. But that is something to consider for the rules next year....
Oh geez, this event is majorly pressed for time as it is. :c That would really favor grippers capable of grabbing multiple items. Which isn't a bad thing, I suppose.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

I don't mean to be 'that kid' but i have a few questions that may of been answered or are redundant. I did scan through past posts and will look harder into it in the next few days however my coach wants me to order this tomorrow if we can use a kit:

Are we allowed to use a kit? If so, do we need to mod it at all or is it OK as is

Can it be teathered with no wireless controls?

Thats about it...

I shall look through all the old posts in the next few days but for the moment I'm trapped by homework :oops:

Im not usually for kits.. but i have 2 weeks and was informed today that we havent had an arm ever this year... baaad
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

mrsteven wrote:I don't mean to be 'that kid' but i have a few questions that may of been answered or are redundant. I did scan through past posts and will look harder into it in the next few days however my coach wants me to order this tomorrow if we can use a kit:

Are we allowed to use a kit? If so, do we need to mod it at all or is it OK as is

Can it be teathered with no wireless controls?

Thats about it...

I shall look through all the old posts in the next few days but for the moment I'm trapped by homework :oops:
Did you read the physical rules? They directly address both of those questions.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

I have scanned through them... if their in the rules, I'm sorry to have bugged you guys...

Ill look'm up now.

Again sorry, I scanned quickly and missed it apparently ^^
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
lucasbrackins

Post by lucasbrackins »

Is the competition area on the floor?
If so are we provided a chair? Or bring one. My tether is not long enough for me to stand and the robot be on the floor

Return to “2012 Build Events”