Robot Arm C

OldSpice
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by OldSpice »

I know previously someone posted about 4 arms that had the potential to get perfect scores at a regional in Ohio, but to those have you who have attended state competitions, how many perfect scores were there?
The man your man could smell like.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]
questionguy
State: VA

Post by questionguy »

If there are 5 motors on the robot, but I decide that at the competition, I only need to use 3 of them, do I need to remove the motors entirely or can i simply disconnect them. I am using a vex system. I will also submit a clarification.

In addition to this, are the wires of the motors allowed to leave the square and touch the ground? Or would that count as the arm base leaving the 30x30 square?
OldSpice

Post by OldSpice »

questionguy wrote:If there are 5 motors on the robot, but I decide that at the competition, I only need to use 3 of them, do I need to remove the motors entirely or can i simply disconnect them. I am using a vex system. I will also submit a clarification.

In addition to this, are the wires of the motors allowed to leave the square and touch the ground? Or would that count as the arm base leaving the 30x30 square?
I'd think you would have to not include them in your technical documentation for them to not be included in the tiebreaker. Though that's a tough question and I'll leave that to your state director.

On the wire issue, they can't touch the ground outside the square, but they can hang off your arm.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

Why can't the wires of the motors touch the ground?
OldSpice

Post by OldSpice »

bearasauras wrote:Why can't the wires of the motors touch the ground?
Wow that was a derp. For some reason I was thinking of the base of the arm touching outside of the arm square.
Yeah wires can touch outside of the arm square.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]
questionguy
State: VA

Post by questionguy »

If the half gallon milk jugs are outside of the 70x70 square, points are still received for items right?
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by harryk »

questionguy wrote:If the half gallon milk jugs are outside of the 70x70 square, points are still received for items right?
7.a: "The Goal and Bonus Boxes may touch the surface outside the Competition area"
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Kinda curious, who out there has an autonomous arm? If so, what kind of controller and style of arm are you using? I'm using a pololu mini maestro(http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1352) on an arm similar to the kits that people have been modifying(only slightly larger) and can't get any compound movements that I need easily. Thanks, if it's to vague feel free to ask :D

Edit: Also, would it be possible to be more specific next year on the type nail? Such as a pennyweight specification or recommendation? It seems to me the rules would allow for nails with very large heads as well as something like a finishing nail with next to no head, which would throw a lot of people off at a contest if they have practiced with a different type of nail. I know it may not be as convenient to some contests, but maybe just a recommendation or regional/state rule would suffice.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
FueL

Post by FueL »

OldSpice wrote:I know previously someone posted about 4 arms that had the potential to get perfect scores at a regional in Ohio, but to those have you who have attended state competitions, how many perfect scores were there?
It's been a while, and I'm curious about this too. For New York C, one robot received a perfect score, and the top five places were all separated by less than 10 points. It seems that while there were many robots with the capability (speed, torque, precision, arm length) of getting a perfect, few robots actually achieve it at the competition.

I'm guessing at nationals, around 4-6 robots will have perfect runs. Do you guys think this estimate is about right, or too high/low?
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
buzzbuzz
State: KS

Post by buzzbuzz »

I would guess maybe 6-8 will get perfect scores. Teams who use multiple arms and control boxes could get perfect scores without too much trouble. The deciding factor at nationals will be the number of motors used and possibly the quality of documentation (which, unfortunately, could be a matter of opinion).

Return to “2012 Build Events”