Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Robot Arm C

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Robot Arm C.

Robot Arm Wiki
2011 Thread
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by sachleen »

This robotic gripper uses coffee grounds in a balloon and a vacuum to pick up objects of any size or shape. I would really like to see somebody implement this in their device. It'll be slow, but still very neat and looks fairly easy to build. How strong are battery those powered vacuums?
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

sachleen wrote:This robotic gripper uses coffee grounds in a balloon and a vacuum to pick up objects of any size or shape. I would really like to see somebody implement this in their device. It'll be slow, but still very neat and looks fairly easy to build. How strong are battery those powered vacuums?
That is really, really cool.
illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Wow, that's a beautiful piece of engineering... :shock:
blazer
State: MO
Been thanked: 0

Post by blazer »

I keep calculating a maximum score of 93, not 94. Am I missing something?
Last edited by blazer on September 8th, 2011, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regionals: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Thermodynamics, 1st Experimental Design, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Forestry, 4th Gravity Vehicle, 5th Optics
State: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Gravity Vehicle, 1st Optics, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Experimental Design, 3rd Thermodynamics, 6th Forestry
Nationals: Tie for 1st Robot Arm
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

blazer wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but I can only calculate a maximum score of 93, not 94 as the rules say. My suspicion is the trial rules were double corrected as the maximum score was raised by one point and the following rule was removed: d. At the end of the run, any item that is completely within the North Zone and not completely supported by one of the Goal Boxes will receive 1 point. Without the 4th D battery scoring one point, the maximum score is 93.
In my printed copy of the rules 7.d is still there, which would still make 94 the maximum number of points available (due to the final D battery sitting on the ground in the North Zone). Is your copy different?
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
blazer

Post by blazer »

My copy is the same. I guess I just missed it. How many motors do you think the national-winning arm will have?
Last edited by blazer on September 8th, 2011, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regionals: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Thermodynamics, 1st Experimental Design, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Forestry, 4th Gravity Vehicle, 5th Optics
State: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Gravity Vehicle, 1st Optics, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Experimental Design, 3rd Thermodynamics, 6th Forestry
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

blazer wrote:It is . I guess I just missed it. How many motors do you think the national-winning arm will have?
Wait, it is different? I'm confused.

I'm expecting the nationals winners to have either 3 or 4 motors.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by harryk »

I have an idea for an arm with a single motor; using a complex transmission to direct power to different joints, though I think this would prove to be slow, clunky, fragile, and hard to operate, so you probably wouldn't get full points and the advantage of having one motor wouldn't be reaped
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
blazer

Post by blazer »

Rule 7d is included.
harryk wrote:I have an idea for an arm with a single motor; using a complex transmission to direct power to different joints, though I think this would prove to be slow, clunky, fragile, and hard to operate, so you probably wouldn't get full points and the advantage of having one motor wouldn't be reaped
Wouldn't you need a second motor to control the transmission?

Return to “2012 Build Events”