Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by twototwenty »

Out of curiosity, what are people building thier frames out of? I have yet to find a good set up which is the right size, but not too heavy and cumbersome.
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by harryk »

twototwenty wrote:Out of curiosity, what are people building thier frames out of? I have yet to find a good set up which is the right size, but not too heavy and cumbersome.
Carbon-Fiber FTW :D
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

Really? How much did that amount of carbon fiber cost you?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

$36 for a 3/4 inch carbon pultruded tube, 48 inches should do you. From a REAL quick search.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by harryk »

I got 1"x12" pieces for about $5 each
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
scm424
Division: C
State: IL

Post by scm424 »

Where might a beginner learn how to build robots?
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

If you are a complete beginner, I would recommend getting the owi kit, espescially if you don't have much to spend, builing it with the instructions, then designing the necessary extensions for it to make it long enough. My team did that, and it ended up placing 3rd at my regionals, and that was with minimal practice. Of course, this only works for lower levels of the competition.
Last edited by twototwenty on May 5th, 2012, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

scm424 wrote:Where might a beginner learn how to build robots?
I'm still learning as I'm going. depending on how in depth you want to go with the design from a basic one to a more complicated requires-coding type systems. To my knowledge there isn't a singular guide to help but if you know some principles and basic idea on function, many schools engineering teachers will help you figure out how to assembly logistically and if required, help with coding

OWI is what I started off with, it can be very helpful with learning the ideas of how one should function to abed further development. Also if you really want to you can steal the board from it and use the controls with another bot with similar motors ;)
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

What strength (torque) servos are you guys using, in particular for the "elbow", "shoulder" and overall rotation joints?
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

If properly counterweighted, I've used the HS-645MG(133oz in) for the secondary axis(elbow), and could possibly use it for the primary, however I use a HS-805MG in a geared configuration for the main axis(shoulder) which is rated at 1715oz in of torque, this is a little crazy for a normal sized arm, but mines about twice the size it needed to be :D. I use another HS-645 in the base, but I've shredded the gears twice(small gear teeth...) and before I broke the mechanical stop on a karbonite servo(HS-485HB). I do have an HS-7950TH that I've put in the base and it works well(a little overshoot, but the servo controls it) that is rated for 402oz in@6v(titanium gears) however it's not very smooth to control so I can't use it in competition.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

Return to “2012 Build Events”