Storm the Castle B

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by chalker »

geminicross wrote: Not sure if this helps but, last year we were able to decide where we wanted our target and got points for distance & accuracy
It's the same this year....

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Bennett
Division: B
State: WI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Bennett »

I was wondering how can you make an adjustable pin angle on the end of your arm. We used a very small diameter piece of metal, and after a few uses it snapped.
STORM THE CASTLE IS THE BEST!
rosa3150
State: PA

Post by rosa3150 »

Ok I was wondering how far away the target will be. Any ideas of max distance?
sandpas

Post by sandpas »

Bennett wrote:I was wondering how can you make an adjustable pin angle on the end of your arm. We used a very small diameter piece of metal, and after a few uses it snapped.
You can put it on a wheel. That way you can rotate it to whatever angle you need. You could also make the pins removable. Have several of them with preset angles and swap them for what you need.
chalker
Division: Grad

Post by chalker »

rosa3150 wrote:Ok I was wondering how far away the target will be. Any ideas of max distance?

Your question was answered the first time you asked it a few comments higher on this page. You should really get a copy of the rules and read them since the fact that YOU get to set the placement of the target is just one of MANY aspects of the event you need to know about.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
tag
State: GA

Post by tag »

I am trying to clarify the maximum height allowed for the trebuchet. I understand it needs to fit into a 65 x 65 x 65 cm cube, but that only equates to about 25 inches in height. When at an invitational recently many trebuchet's were taller than that, and the target box to shoot for was also about that same height. Our trebuchet was 19 inches tall and was very small next to all the others (and barely shot the projectile high enough to land in the target box) so we wanted to add some height to it but have now gone over the 65 cm and it still seems smaller than many others we saw. Can anyone help me understand this better? Thank you!
sandpas

Post by sandpas »

tag wrote:I am trying to clarify the maximum height allowed for the trebuchet. I understand it needs to fit into a 65 x 65 x 65 cm cube, but that only equates to about 25 inches in height. When at an invitational recently many trebuchet's were taller than that, and the target box to shoot for was also about that same height. Our trebuchet was 19 inches tall and was very small next to all the others (and barely shot the projectile high enough to land in the target box) so we wanted to add some height to it but have now gone over the 65 cm and it still seems smaller than many others we saw. Can anyone help me understand this better? Thank you!
With the counterweight and the projectile loaded, your treb needs to fit inside the 65 cm cube. That is in the ready to launch position. Usually you want to make your treb as big as possible, especially the arm. Your treb should be able to make shots that go 5 to 10 m off the ground, so I'm not sure why you are having problems with the height of your shots. You'll need to be more specific about your design if you want help. For example, are you using a sling?
tag

Post by tag »

Thanks for your reply! We have a hinged counterweight trebuchet with a wire "scoop" shape to hold the projectile (not a sling). We tried a sling with our trebuchet and it wasn't successful. Needless to say it doesn't have a lot of height in shooting the projectile, but is consistent with distance. I guess I need to cut a few inches off the base to make it fit into the 65cm cube.
sandpas

Post by sandpas »

A sling will give you a lot more distance and height in your trajectory. You should try to make it work. What problems were you having with it?
tag

Post by tag »

The projectile just stayed in the sling so we changed the design. We don't get great height but it is very precise everytime so I'm not sure I want to change it at this point with regionals tomorrow :(

Return to “2012 Build Events”