Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by fishman100 »

Rocketeer wrote:I still have not figured out where the rules are posted on the soinc site. Am I just not clicking the right place? After the effect of the near force 6-7 winds on the launch last year, the 1 liter bottle sounds appealing. Does anyone know how to get the rules for this year and how to build or modify the launch pad? It sounds like the pressure will be 60.
http://store.soinc.org/p-13-2012-rules- ... ion-b.aspx
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
mtheleman
Division: B
State: KS

Post by mtheleman »

At a competition on Saturday, our teams were allowed to add air until they "thought" it was 60psi. There was not a visible pressure gauge available for them to see. What they didn't know was that the hose was hooked to a compressor inside the building and it was set to 60psi. Several of our teams stopped filling before they got to the maximum amount. The way I interpret the rules is that the rockets must be launched at 60 psi. This should not be a variable left to the competitors. Is this a correct interpretation?
Michael Phelps trains with Chuck Norris swimming behind him.
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by fishman100 »

mtheleman wrote:At a competition on Saturday, our teams were allowed to add air until they "thought" it was 60psi. There was not a visible pressure gauge available for them to see. What they didn't know was that the hose was hooked to a compressor inside the building and it was set to 60psi. Several of our teams stopped filling before they got to the maximum amount. The way I interpret the rules is that the rockets must be launched at 60 psi. This should not be a variable left to the competitors. Is this a correct interpretation?
Wow, IMO the event should have been disqualified! If the variables aren't the same for everyone then that is unfair.

And yes you are right; every rocket should be launched at 60 PSI.
44madfire
State: MO

Post by 44madfire »

Just a small question. Do you have to use a carbonated bottle?
:?:
KKForever5
State: CA

Post by KKForever5 »

Yes, because the air pressure of a carbonated beverage doesn't break the bottle. If you used a regular 1 liter water bottle, than it most likely will break.
KINGDOM KEEPERS RULE!!!
http://www.thekingdomkeepers.com/forum/index.php
SCIENCE RULES!!
ANAHEIM DUCKS RULE!!!!!!!
ROLLER COASTER TYCOON 3 RULES!!!!!!!
44madfire
State: MO

Post by 44madfire »

hm. because i was using smartwater bottles. While they didn't burst, I'm worried if they would be legal for the competition? (would they disqualify me?)
KKForever5
State: CA

Post by KKForever5 »

44madfire wrote:hm. because i was using smartwater bottles. While they didn't burst, I'm worried if they would be legal for the competition? (would they disqualify me?)
That I don't know. Sorry.
KINGDOM KEEPERS RULE!!!
http://www.thekingdomkeepers.com/forum/index.php
SCIENCE RULES!!
ANAHEIM DUCKS RULE!!!!!!!
ROLLER COASTER TYCOON 3 RULES!!!!!!!
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by fishman100 »

44madfire wrote:hm. because i was using smartwater bottles. While they didn't burst, I'm worried if they would be legal for the competition? (would they disqualify me?)
If the bottle is 1 liter or less then it's legal.
Lady Epidemic
State: OH

Post by Lady Epidemic »

If the bottle is not a bottle for a carbonated liquid, you will be disqualified. The judges actually look for the "carbonated" on the label. If it's not pressurized, the judges will refuse to launch it, or if they launch it, it will be docked down to Tier 2 for a rules violation/safety violation. Sort of like if you don't wear goggles while launching, you'll be knocked down to Teir 2.
"The stars are beautiful because of a flower that cannot be seen." ='( -Le Petite Prince
Wright State/Magsig/Piqua Regionals/Ohio State
Disease Detectives - 3/3/2/1
Mousetrap -/-/1/9
Dynamic -/-/3/6
WIDI -/-/-/4
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by fishman100 »

Lady Epidemic wrote:If the bottle is not a bottle for a carbonated liquid, you will be disqualified. The judges actually look for the "carbonated" on the label. If it's not pressurized, the judges will refuse to launch it, or if they launch it, it will be docked down to Tier 2 for a rules violation/safety violation. Sort of like if you don't wear goggles while launching, you'll be knocked down to Teir 2.
Is that a new rule this year? I think last year you could use any type of bottle just as long as you present the labels during inspection if they were detached from the bottle...

Return to “2012 Build Events”