Bottle Rocket B

Locked
UnknownyMous
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: January 31st, 2012, 4:26 pm
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by UnknownyMous » February 18th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Oh. Okay.

I have one more question, do we have to bring our bottle rockets in a box or something to the competition?
Bottle Rocket and Microbe Mission for 2012
Anatomy and Keep The Heat for 2013
Anatomy and Write It Do It for 2014

User avatar
quizbowl
Member
Member
Posts: 1044
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 3:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Syosset High, WLI, NY --> UChicago '16
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by quizbowl » February 18th, 2012, 8:01 pm

UnknownyMous wrote:Oh. Okay.

I have one more question, do we have to bring our bottle rockets in a box or something to the competition?
Erm, you don't have to, but then again, why wouldn't you want to protect your bottle rocket from possible breakage?
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

rishj09
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: January 5th, 2012, 3:04 pm
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by rishj09 » February 21st, 2012, 3:43 pm

T_Paine wrote:
TAZmaniandevil wrote:Hi! I am doing bottle rockets for the first time this year, and i was looking and saw that lots of people attached a long cone to the front of their rocket. I was wondering if anyone could please tell me what to make that cone out of. :D
It was really differed from rocket to rocket for us. One of our rockets with wrapping paper did well. The other went like a foot and nose-dived down.
My coach said that cones will break after one flight..... so we use small water bottles all the way up to the top.
OMGG.... Chuck Norris Dominates

User avatar
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 478
Joined: January 28th, 2011, 1:26 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by fishman100 » February 21st, 2012, 3:50 pm

rishj09 wrote: My coach said that cones will break after one flight..... so we use small water bottles all the way up to the top.
I've seen a few rockets with water bottle/cup nose cones (there's one in the Image gallery, IIRC) and those tended to have a lower time than those built with another material, such as the wrapping paper.

The nose cone will break depending on a variety of factors; CG and CP (which ultimately affect the flight of the rocket), wind, landing, etc. If your rocket is made of a fragile material then it's more susceptible to breaking than a sturdier material, but a heavier material for the nose cone will shift the CG. Also if the rocket nosedives then yes the cone will most likely break (our rule was if the nose cone was still intact upon a nosedive, then it's too strong).

How are you connecting the water bottles? Tape? Are you experiencing stability problems with your nose cone?
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15

UnknownyMous
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: January 31st, 2012, 4:26 pm
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by UnknownyMous » February 21st, 2012, 5:19 pm

I'm so nervous... The competition for me in TX is only THREE days away.
Bottle Rocket and Microbe Mission for 2012
Anatomy and Keep The Heat for 2013
Anatomy and Write It Do It for 2014

User avatar
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 478
Joined: January 28th, 2011, 1:26 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by fishman100 » February 21st, 2012, 6:03 pm

UnknownyMous wrote:I'm so nervous... The competition for me in TX is only THREE days away.
You have a competition on a Friday? And good luck!
Last edited by fishman100 on February 22nd, 2012, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15

jma
Member
Member
Posts: 91
Joined: October 10th, 2011, 4:08 pm
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by jma » February 21st, 2012, 7:00 pm

Our rockets both got under 4 seconds on the competition last Saturday :cry: . Their noses were bent on the way up and caused the rockets to go down because our cones weren't strong enough. It was very sad for us. We spent a lot of time practicing. I think the homemade launcher we used at home was not sealed as tightly as the one at the tournament( I heard a pop sound and the rocket went up very fast). We got 16-17 seconds during our practices at home (except we did have a few bad flights that we thought were caused by wind).

UnknownyMous
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: January 31st, 2012, 4:26 pm
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by UnknownyMous » February 21st, 2012, 7:23 pm

jma wrote:Our rockets both got under 4 seconds on the competition last Saturday :cry: . Their noses were bent on the way up and caused the rockets to go down because our cones weren't strong enough. It was very sad for us. We spent a lot of time practicing. I think the homemade launcher we used at home was not sealed as tightly as the one at the tournament( I heard a pop sound and the rocket went up very fast). We got 16-17 seconds during our practices at home (except we did have a few bad flights that we thought were caused by wind).
Aww, I'm sorry :cry:. Well, at least you tried your best.
Bottle Rocket and Microbe Mission for 2012
Anatomy and Keep The Heat for 2013
Anatomy and Write It Do It for 2014

jma
Member
Member
Posts: 91
Joined: October 10th, 2011, 4:08 pm
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by jma » February 22nd, 2012, 6:23 pm

UnknownyMous wrote:
jma wrote:Our rockets both got under 4 seconds on the competition last Saturday :cry: . Their noses were bent on the way up and caused the rockets to go down because our cones weren't strong enough. It was very sad for us. We spent a lot of time practicing. I think the homemade launcher we used at home was not sealed as tightly as the one at the tournament( I heard a pop sound and the rocket went up very fast). We got 16-17 seconds during our practices at home (except we did have a few bad flights that we thought were caused by wind).
Aww, I'm sorry :cry:. Well, at least you tried your best.
Thanks, UnknownyMous. We'll try to do better at the State tournament.

UnknownyMous
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: January 31st, 2012, 4:26 pm
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by UnknownyMous » February 23rd, 2012, 11:34 am

Do you think that we should put a weight in the rocket to like control the stability or something?
Bottle Rocket and Microbe Mission for 2012
Anatomy and Keep The Heat for 2013
Anatomy and Write It Do It for 2014

Locked

Return to “2012 Build Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests