Bottle Rocket B

jma
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by jma »

If the Aquaport launcher is used at the tournament, do the events suppervisors have different launcher plugs ( 1 for long nect and 1 for short nect bottle) for you to use?
mp727
Division: C
State: PA

Bottle Rocket B

Post by mp727 »

I'm new to bottle rocket and science olympiad, so does anyone have any good bottle rocket designs they can share with me? Designs that can get up to 15-20 seconds to the least.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

mp727 wrote:Designs that can get up to 15-20 seconds to the least.
This will take you tens of hours of flight testing to achieve. You may not have time to reach these levels if you're just starting...
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

jma wrote:If the Aquaport launcher is used at the tournament, do the events suppervisors have different launcher plugs ( 1 for long nect and 1 for short nect bottle) for you to use?
They should, but don't count on using another plug.
mp727 wrote:I'm new to bottle rocket and science olympiad, so does anyone have any good bottle rocket designs they can share with me? Designs that can get up to 15-20 seconds to the least.
If you've read the Bottle Rocket Wiki, looked at pics in the Image Gallery, and followed this thread then you should have a general idea of what to build. Make sure you know all of your 'bottle rocket vocab' so you can design a good rocket and test it multiple times. You might not get 15-20 second times on your 1st try, but understanding the concepts, building a rocket based on those concepts, testing, analyzing flights, and repeating that process will get you rockets with over 20 second flights.

If you're just starting, well...good luck.
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
techmaster55
State: NY

Post by techmaster55 »

I find it hard to believe that a lot of people will be getting around a 40 second combined time at a major state competition, just from the fact that the best bottle rocket in the country with the 2 liter bottles was around 28 seconds last year. I would assume most people right now are getting around 14- 17 second flight times per rocket. Am I extremley wrong in saying this, or am I just talking to a few of the best rocket builders in the country :shock:
jgrischow1
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

rocketman55 wrote:I find it hard to believe that a lot of people will be getting around a 40 second combined time at a major state competition, just from the fact that the best bottle rocket in the country with the 2 liter bottles was around 28 seconds last year. I would assume most people right now are getting around 14- 17 second flight times per rocket. Am I extremley wrong in saying this, or am I just talking to a few of the best rocket builders in the country :shock:
The winning combined time at the Wright State Invitational was over 40. The other top times were in the high 30s. Seems possible.
skillfullparrot7
State: CA

Post by skillfullparrot7 »

The winning combined time at the SoCal State competition was around 41 seconds.
The winning combined time at the Wright State Invitational was over 40. The other top times were in the high 30s. Seems possible.
Don't forget that this is Ohio you are talking about here. I agree with rocketman55 that most times will be around 14-17 seconds per rocket.
"If it were easy, everyone would do it."
techmaster55

Post by techmaster55 »

Well it turns out that my rockets acctually dont suck that bad (btw got my username changed from rocketman55) 2nd at the NY state tournament with a high 30's combined time. Woot.
gmui

Post by gmui »

techmaster55 wrote:Well it turns out that my rockets acctually dont suck that bad (btw got my username changed from rocketman55) 2nd at the NY state tournament with a high 30's combined time. Woot.
Techmaster55 - Your rockets were great. I saw your rocket last Saturday and it was very cool! Good luck at Nationals!

Btw, it looked like the little plastic ring was still on the end of your bottle. Unless it's there for balance, I'd suggest clipping that off to lighten the load even if it's just a tiny bit.
techmaster55

Post by techmaster55 »

gmui wrote:
techmaster55 wrote:Well it turns out that my rockets acctually dont suck that bad (btw got my username changed from rocketman55) 2nd at the NY state tournament with a high 30's combined time. Woot.
Techmaster55 - Your rockets were great. I saw your rocket last Saturday and it was very cool! Good luck at Nationals!

Btw, it looked like the little plastic ring was still on the end of your bottle. Unless it's there for balance, I'd suggest clipping that off to lighten the load even if it's just a tiny bit.
Thank you for the advice! I also believe I saw your rockets get 1st in the state if I am correct? Or maybe they were your sons, since you posted earlier about getting them a proper launcher and such. Well whoevers those rockes were they absolutly fantastic. I think that I saw the first one land on a roof, and that was at about 21 seconds. Seriously those were probably the best rockets I've ever seen, might have even placed at nationals. Really good work guys, keep it up.

Return to “2012 Build Events”