Bottle Rocket B

jcreeps27
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by jcreeps27 »

its still credible. Its not like he broke any rules, it just happened to be very windy. It could be windy at nationals.
"Science is about the insatiable craving for knowledge"

- Me
techmaster55
Division: B
State: NY

Post by techmaster55 »

Well 33 seconds per launch would definatly be a 1st place medal at nats, but remember almost everybody is going to have (almost) the same conditions on launch day, so if your time was increased by that much do to enviornmental factors it is likely that some other rockets will endure the same enviornmental factors and possibly ecounter the same increase in time that your rocket would have received. Also, yes that was me doing rockets at nationals last year. I would also like to bring up the event placement predictions thing: aparantly marie murphy jh has 12 votes for winning bottle rockets at nationals... nobody else has more that 3.

*got my first time over 20 seconds yesterday!
jgrischow1
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

Any times from Nationals?
drifter601
Division: C
State: TX

Post by drifter601 »

jgrischow1 wrote:Any times from Nationals?
Yeah, there was a team (I'm not gonna say any names) that got 24 sec. and 18 sec; 42 sec total. We've easily gotten that, but the wind picked up at launch and our rockets lost some height. We got 16th, so I am mad and sad. :cry:

They had music going on during launches, lol, but kind of distracting.
My dream car (in profile picture): a Nissan Skyline GTR R34...
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

drifter601 wrote:
jgrischow1 wrote:Any times from Nationals?
Yeah, there was a team (I'm not gonna say any names) that got 24 sec. and 18 sec; 42 sec total. We've easily gotten that, but the wind picked up at launch and our rockets lost some height. We got 16th, so I am mad and sad. :cry:

They had music going on during launches, lol, but kind of distracting.

Why not say the name? It's easily checked on the score sheet that was posted as to who medaled in the event. Also note that several teams were in that ~40 second range.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
techmaster55

Post by techmaster55 »

Loli geuss it just wasn't my year for bottle rockets... sucks too cause I spent over 1000 hours and 400 dollars on my 58 rockets I built this season. My usual combined times were around 53 seconds. Too bad the paper I used for my tops was so finely tuned to the humidity of new york. The 30%+ increase in humidity did not fare well on them... all I can say is I pretty much destroyed my teams chance of placing, because both of our tops crushed upon launch... we got 59th place. Literally the biggest upset of my life. Oh yeah geuss what else got my spirits up? My helicopter for helicopter egg drop (trial) according to the event supervisor got the best time of the day, but my egg decided to break anyway so lol 2nd teir T_T. Lol I medaled 4th in compute tho so that was good. And yeah u heard me right I was consistantly getting 27 second times :p
gmui

Post by gmui »

techmaster55 wrote:
gmui wrote:
techmaster55 wrote:Well it turns out that my rockets acctually dont suck that bad (btw got my username changed from rocketman55) 2nd at the NY state tournament with a high 30's combined time. Woot.
Techmaster55 - Your rockets were great. I saw your rocket last Saturday and it was very cool! Good luck at Nationals!

Btw, it looked like the little plastic ring was still on the end of your bottle. Unless it's there for balance, I'd suggest clipping that off to lighten the load even if it's just a tiny bit.
Thank you for the advice! I also believe I saw your rockets get 1st in the state if I am correct? Or maybe they were your sons, since you posted earlier about getting them a proper launcher and such. Well whoevers those rockes were they absolutly fantastic. I think that I saw the first one land on a roof, and that was at about 21 seconds. Seriously those were probably the best rockets I've ever seen, might have even placed at nationals. Really good work guys, keep it up.
Sorry to hear about the bad outcome at Nationals. At least with your school's team you get to compete (regularly it sounds like) at Nationals. That was my son's school's first appearance at State in a few years so we're happy that he at least got to compete at State. Hopefully the team will qualify again next year. And I can sympathize on how expensive and painstaking all the rocket building gets. Between the launcher, different types of papers and bottles, and FTC tubes, it all adds up!

Enjoy the summer!

Return to “2012 Build Events”