Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by fishman100 »

techmaster55 wrote:Well it turns out that my rockets acctually dont suck that bad (btw got my username changed from rocketman55) 2nd at the NY state tournament with a high 30's combined time. Woot.
Congrats techmaster and gmui; high 30's/40's is very impressive! That's ~18 seconds per flight, which is an accomplishment only a handful of teams could get even with a 2-liter bottle.

Techmaster, did you compete in bottle rockets last year? If so, then you had a great rocket (I saw it at Nats)!
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
jcreeps27
Division: C
State: PA

Post by jcreeps27 »

I'm posting for my fellow teammate who does not have a scioly, but his bottle rockets have gotten up to 33 sec in one launch, and I've personally been there when he has launched over 20 sec.
"Science is about the insatiable craving for knowledge"

- Me
Mr Sarcastic
State: TN

Post by Mr Sarcastic »

jcreeps27 wrote:I'm posting for my fellow teammate who does not have a scioly, but his bottle rockets have gotten up to 33 sec in one launch, and I've personally been there when he has launched over 20 sec.
33 seconds for one launch? That's a bit too high to sound credible. If it is true though, those rockets could possibly win nationals.
Events: Meteorology, Forestry, Keep the Heat, Shock Value, Mission Possible, Heredity, Anatomy, Metric Mastery

2013 Medals/Ribbons:
Anatomy- 2nd
Forestry- 2nd
Heredity- 6th, 1st
Meteorology- 3rd, 1st
Metrics- 4th
Keep the Heat- 7th, 1st
Shock- 7th

"We're back, Jack!"
jcreeps27

Post by jcreeps27 »

It's credible believe me. Even he was surprised when he got that. It doesn't always do that but it has the potential to, and after all these things don't always work perfectly. It could do anything at nationals.

- Me
havenbreadfish

Post by havenbreadfish »

Mr Sarcastic wrote:
jcreeps27 wrote:I'm posting for my fellow teammate who does not have a scioly, but his bottle rockets have gotten up to 33 sec in one launch, and I've personally been there when he has launched over 20 sec.
33 seconds for one launch? That's a bit too high to sound credible. If it is true though, those rockets could possibly win nationals.
It was very windy. Sorry creeps, but it isnt that credible.
Strath Haven Science Olympiad - 6th Year

2016 Events: Invasive Species, Dynamic Planet, Green Generation, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Hydrogeology
Past Events: Road Scholar, Heredity, Water Quality, DP, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Entomology
jcreeps27

Post by jcreeps27 »

its still credible. Its not like he broke any rules, it just happened to be very windy. It could be windy at nationals.

- Me
techmaster55
Division: B
State: NY

Post by techmaster55 »

Well 33 seconds per launch would definatly be a 1st place medal at nats, but remember almost everybody is going to have (almost) the same conditions on launch day, so if your time was increased by that much do to enviornmental factors it is likely that some other rockets will endure the same enviornmental factors and possibly ecounter the same increase in time that your rocket would have received. Also, yes that was me doing rockets at nationals last year. I would also like to bring up the event placement predictions thing: aparantly marie murphy jh has 12 votes for winning bottle rockets at nationals... nobody else has more that 3.

*got my first time over 20 seconds yesterday!
jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

Any times from Nationals?
drifter601
State: TX

Post by drifter601 »

jgrischow1 wrote:Any times from Nationals?
Yeah, there was a team (I'm not gonna say any names) that got 24 sec. and 18 sec; 42 sec total. We've easily gotten that, but the wind picked up at launch and our rockets lost some height. We got 16th, so I am mad and sad. :cry:

They had music going on during launches, lol, but kind of distracting.
My dream car (in profile picture): a Nissan Skyline GTR R34...
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

drifter601 wrote:
jgrischow1 wrote:Any times from Nationals?
Yeah, there was a team (I'm not gonna say any names) that got 24 sec. and 18 sec; 42 sec total. We've easily gotten that, but the wind picked up at launch and our rockets lost some height. We got 16th, so I am mad and sad. :cry:

They had music going on during launches, lol, but kind of distracting.

Why not say the name? It's easily checked on the score sheet that was posted as to who medaled in the event. Also note that several teams were in that ~40 second range.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “2012 Build Events”