Bottle Rocket B

jma
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by jma »

ls20817 wrote:How are you doing the calculations. I have tried to download one and put in the numbers and it didn't work. I am using a cone shaped rocket. Do you need to figure in the shaping at the end near the nozzle. Can any one recommend a good simulation site? Any help would be appreciated.
We used programs from this website http://wrockets.trib-design.com/index.p ... e=programs
techmaster55
State: NY

Post by techmaster55 »

Hey guys do you know any general times that people are consistantly getting? States for New York is less than 12 school days away and I want to know about how bad I would fail if I took my current rockets to states :D
justinbeiberfan1337
State: PA

Post by justinbeiberfan1337 »

JKrafsur wrote:Shriek!! 1L bottles, guess the times will plummet this year, and im gonna have to cut the weight balance system in half. Still no parachutes?
notnecessarily. Times could go higher due to less mass, it could be effected by thermals or backslide better. The hight MAY drop, but not gauranteed.
justinbeiberfan1337

rocketman55 wrote:Hey guys do you know any general times that people are consistantly getting? States for New York is less than 12 school days away and I want to know about how bad I would fail if I took my current rockets to states :D
we have been getting between 15-20 seconds several times 25 or even 30 seconds but that is just us.
Pi_Lord

Post by Pi_Lord »

rocketman42 wrote:
rocketman55 wrote:Hey guys do you know any general times that people are consistantly getting? States for New York is less than 12 school days away and I want to know about how bad I would fail if I took my current rockets to states :D
we have been getting between 15-20 seconds several times 25 or even 30 seconds but that is just us.
lol, rocketman42 is quoting rocketman55
justinbeiberfan1337

ls20817 wrote:How are you doing the calculations. I have tried to download one and put in the numbers and it didn't work. I am using a cone shaped rocket. Do you need to figure in the shaping at the end near the nozzle. Can any one recommend a good simulation site? Any help would be appreciated.
just go for an aerodynamic backslider, you dont really need that much simulation. Just keep it lightweight, and with a lot of practice you can get a consistant 20-25 second backslide.
Pi_Lord

Post by Pi_Lord »

jma wrote:
We used programs from this website http://wrockets.trib-design.com/index.p ... e=programs
this is a good website http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/rocket/rktsim.html
justinbeiberfan1337

jgrischow1 wrote:We can't seem to get above 10 seconds and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas. Yes, I have read this thread, last year's thread, the wiki, and Googled for hours.

We are using a 1 L bottle and about 425 mL of water.
Our nose cone is a long plastic tube, about 5 ft long and 1.5 in diameter.
Our fins are made from plastic folders and folded and taped for rigidity. They are trapezoidal, with bases of 3 in and 5 in and a height of 3 in.

We have two main problems that I see:

Height: The rocket doesn't seem to be going very high.
Delayed backslide: It falls the same way it came up (i.e. the opposite of a nosedive) for awhile before turning and backsliding.

My ideas:

Make the rocket lighter. Take away some tape, shorten the rocket?
Add weight to the tip so it goes up straighter and/or turns to backslide sooner (but we tried this a little and got some nosedives at the end of the backslide)?
Change the fin size/shape?
I don't think we have time to significantly alter the design of the nose cone to, say, paper. Our regional is Saturday.

Any ideas? Thanks.
main thing is go as light as possible. we used a similar design and got 15-20 secondd flights. It is smart to note that that type of long, thin cone is perfect for high winds or rainy days. You mention lawn darting when you went lighter, try to lighten up the rear of the rocket, by using less glue or tape, and only one small bottle with maybe half of a reverse bottle on top to attach the tube to. for the tube, we use long golf bag inserts, which are light and large. try these ideas and you might get better luck. I there is low winds, you can consider an equally loong paper CONE.

-rocketman42
ls20817
State: MD

Post by ls20817 »

We have been able to get the rocket to back slide. The rocket seems to be spinning pretty fast as it comes down horizontally. Does anyone know of a way to stop or slow the spinning.
bluejay
State: CA

Post by bluejay »

when i build my rocket, it just seems to go really far..unlike the other ones, but i can't find anything on it. please help.
Mistakes are another way for you to learn.

Return to “2012 Build Events”