Sounds of Music C

Locked
MicrobeMiss
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: February 9th, 2011, 1:04 pm
Division: C
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by MicrobeMiss » January 3rd, 2012, 4:49 pm

I have a question. Would a pvc pipe organ be a good instrument to build or will it not cover the range well enough for a judge to tell the difference? Also could my partner do a xylophone and a pvc pipe organ or are they too similar for competition.

hmcginny
Member
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: February 28th, 2011, 6:27 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Penn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by hmcginny » January 3rd, 2012, 6:00 pm

For the range question, you would not get all of the possible points for range of notes. It wouldn't really affect the pieces you can play seeing as you can rearrange St. Anthony's and your chosen piece to fit your instrument's range.

I would consider a pvc pipe organ a good instrument to build. I'm not sure what you mean about the judge not being able to tell the difference. And I would consider xylophone and pipe organ as different varieties of instruments seeing as one is a percussion and the other is a wind.
Harriton 2013 (Captain 2012-2013)
Penn 2017

2014 PA State Compound Machines Supervisor

Past Events: Fermi, Thermo, WIDI, Maglev, TPS, Chem Lab, Mission, Sounds, Trajectory, Mousetrap, etc.

Percussionist
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: January 3rd, 2012, 10:50 am
Division: C
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by Percussionist » January 3rd, 2012, 6:04 pm

hmcginny wrote:For the range question, you would not get all of the possible points for range of notes. It wouldn't really affect the pieces you can play seeing as you can rearrange St. Anthony's and your chosen piece to fit your instrument's range.

I would consider a pvc pipe organ a good instrument to build. I'm not sure what you mean about the judge not being able to tell the difference. And I would consider xylophone and pipe organ as different varieties of instruments seeing as one is a percussion and the other is a wind.
So should I go ahead and leave the range how it is and except I won't get all those points? It's my first year anyway and I don't think there is a way around my problem.
Forestry 2012
Optics 2010
Sounds of Music 2010
Many things to do, No time to do it

hmcginny
Member
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: February 28th, 2011, 6:27 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Penn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by hmcginny » January 3rd, 2012, 7:36 pm

If you can make up for those lost points in other ways (good tone quality, originality, workmanship, etc.), go for it. I would assume that at this point you have invested enough time and effort into this idea that its not worth turning around, so I would make the best of it. You can still do very well without those handful of range points. If you look at the scoring, you would lose maybe 3 of the 6 range points (I'm not sure of the extent of your range issues), which is something, but not enough to mean that you shouldn't go ahead with an idea.
Harriton 2013 (Captain 2012-2013)
Penn 2017

2014 PA State Compound Machines Supervisor

Past Events: Fermi, Thermo, WIDI, Maglev, TPS, Chem Lab, Mission, Sounds, Trajectory, Mousetrap, etc.

User avatar
ramen4dinner
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 2:00 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by ramen4dinner » January 3rd, 2012, 11:12 pm

Hello!
This is my first year doing sounds and I made a stringed instrument that's like a weird cross between a cello and a guitar.
I was wondering how and how closely pitch is judged. For example, if I can play a normal stringed instrument with passable accuracy, is that good enough for this event? Or would it be better to add frets?
Thanks in advance for any input. :D

Percussionist
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: January 3rd, 2012, 10:50 am
Division: C
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by Percussionist » January 4th, 2012, 12:00 pm

hmcginny wrote:If you can make up for those lost points in other ways (good tone quality, originality, workmanship, etc.), go for it. I would assume that at this point you have invested enough time and effort into this idea that its not worth turning around, so I would make the best of it. You can still do very well without those handful of range points. If you look at the scoring, you would lose maybe 3 of the 6 range points (I'm not sure of the extent of your range issues), which is something, but not enough to mean that you shouldn't go ahead with an idea.
Ok, I think I'll go ahead with it. Thank you so much!
Forestry 2012
Optics 2010
Sounds of Music 2010
Many things to do, No time to do it

nadroj
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: October 4th, 2011, 10:09 am
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by nadroj » January 5th, 2012, 1:10 pm

Am I reading the rules correctly. If we have arranged our pieces to make the most of all the notes we are able to play...but in so doing play notes out of the allowable range...we will loose points? What is the point of making an instrument with a large range...when you cant even utilize the broad range when playing the two pieces? Please help me clarify my thinking. Is this really true?

User avatar
fossilgirl13
Member
Member
Posts: 73
Joined: April 7th, 2010, 7:09 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Location: Cle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by fossilgirl13 » January 5th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Where can you find the correct version of St.Anthony's Chorale?
Rocks and Minerals, Disease Detectives, Designer Genes

User avatar
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 1539
Joined: November 18th, 2009, 12:59 pm
Division: Grad
State: IA
Location: Des Moines
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by zyzzyva980 » January 5th, 2012, 1:36 pm

nadroj wrote:Am I reading the rules correctly. If we have arranged our pieces to make the most of all the notes we are able to play...but in so doing play notes out of the allowable range...we will loose points? What is the point of making an instrument with a large range...when you cant even utilize the broad range when playing the two pieces? Please help me clarify my thinking. Is this really true?
Make the most of the allowable range. It's about two octaves, there's no reason to go out of it.
fossilgirl13 wrote:Where can you find the correct version of St.Anthony's Chorale?
On the back of the rule sheet; you will need to supply your own harmony.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

nadroj
Member
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: October 4th, 2011, 10:09 am
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by nadroj » January 6th, 2012, 9:52 am

That does not answer my question. I will be playing a harp and want to play some notes higher or lower than the allowable range, will I loose points??

Locked

Return to “2012 Build Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest