hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by hscmom »

bloods wrote:Wait, does the melody part of st. anthony have to EXACTLY match the given part or can it (while including original notes) play chords or harmony in some parts?
I think the judges are expecting harmony or chords under the melody...

My daughter and her friend just competed in this and actually learned a clean, by the books St Anthony's and then they arranged one that was a lot more stylized (for lack of a better term). They practiced both and provided music for both and asked if it were okay to play the stylized version because that's what they liked to play (and it was more musical). The judges allowed it and that's what they played, but they were ready to play a very "straight" version.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
Mr. Cool
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mr. Cool »

Can't wait to show up to Regionals with our shoddy instruments tomorrow! At least we actually have a treble and bass instrument this year, so we're guaranteed a better score. Haha.
Check out my Wiki page! [wiki]User:Mr. cool[/wiki]
2012 Events:
Dynamic Planet
Sounds of Music
Optics
Remote Sensing

Conveniently here to save Princess Zelda.
engineeringmaniac
State: WY

Post by engineeringmaniac »

I built a violin i am extremely proud of, but i havent put in a sound post as i cant get it without professional help which would be bothersome to say the least. I left the front plate a little thick (about 6 mm) and installed a solid 4-6 mm bass bar securly. Will i need a sound post? im not worried about acoustics, just structurally. Ive strung up the bottom three strings with only minor creeks (the bridge tilts but ill fix that) but im worried about the strain of the high tension e-string...
State 2010:
Wright stuff- 1st
JYC - 1st
Experimental Design - 1st
Bridge - damaged before competition :(
Nationals 2010:
.... Well we had fun
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

With all 4 strings on and tightened to playing tension (assuming the violin is to scale and you're using average tension commercial strings), you have about 50 pounds of pressure trying to pull the ends of the violin together and at least 20 pounds pushing down on the bridge trying to snap the violin in half...well, how fond are you of this instrument?

Joking aside, there's a reason they tell you to always loosen all the strings immediately if the soundpost falls. Personally, i'd rather be safe than sorry, especially with something that you've spent so much time working on. If you really want the E, i'd put the soundpost in, since tension on the E is nearly the equivalent of two lower strings. Alternatively (and this in my opinion is the better solution), you could just forget the E, leave the three strings you have and shift up on the A for high notes - allowable range is only up to a G5 anyways and that's third position on the A. You still get full range points, you don't have to deal with the hassle of putting the soundpost in, and you don't have to worry about things breaking from too high tension (plus you avoid that metallic and shrill E-string sound).
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
engineeringmaniac
State: WY

Post by engineeringmaniac »

I would definately not feel comfortable putting a 20lb weight on top of my violin. Ill put it on but leave it untightened for pure asthetics, although im not looking forward to playing in third position (i never particularly liked it) itll have to do. I dont want my violin to go the way of every bridge ive built for SO.
State 2010:
Wright stuff- 1st
JYC - 1st
Experimental Design - 1st
Bridge - damaged before competition :(
Nationals 2010:
.... Well we had fun
personasaurus rex
State: NY

Post by personasaurus rex »

other than structural support, does anyone know if the sound post on a violin has an acoustic purpose?
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
bloods

Post by bloods »

personasaurus rex wrote:other than structural support, does anyone know if the sound post on a violin has an acoustic purpose?
I read somewhere that it makes the whole instrument vibrate at the same frequency or something...transmits vibrations...but it does have some sort of purpose. Maybe I should put one in my cello :/
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Yes, the soundpost helps amplify the sound by transmitting vibrations from the bridge to the back of the violin, which (along with the top of the instrument) then vibrates the air inside the body, making it louder than if just the strings were vibrating.

And you should definitely put a soundpost in a cello...string tension is even higher. (I once knocked over the soundpost in a friend's cello by attempting to straighten the bridge, and our immediate reaction - besides "oh ****" - was to loosen the strings all the way because we didn't want the string tension to break the top, even without the bridge in place.) If your cello's solid enough to hold the string tension without a soundpost, kudos to you, but it's probably better to be safe than sorry in this case.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

chalker wrote:
AlphaTauri wrote:Chalker, I realize that you guys at Nationals are probably buried under clarifications, but a fellow competitor and I sent in Sounds of Music clarifications about a month ago and neither of us have received answers. Both our questions were along the lines of "what exactly counts as alteration or disassembly of the instrument?", for example a two-part marimba where the two pieces are separately wheeled through the door but lined up next to each other to play, or one where folding legs are bent up a bit to fit it through a doorway.
I've seen those questions and provided my suggested answers. I suspect the delay is due to the fact that other members of the committee might have provided conflicting answers. Absent an official response, I'd suggest you err on the side of assuming the instrument needs to be the same configuration as it was prior to coming through the door.
Has there been an official rule clarification on this?
Here is my conundrum:
Our instrument is a PVC contraption that is in three main units (for transportation purposes) but are ‘connected’ via hinges at the bases once we get into the room (as a part of our 5 minute allowable assembly). Based on this, after the allowable assembly time they are connected. Is this acceptable? I just want peoples thoughts (specifically Chalker’s) lol
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
bloods

Post by bloods »

AlphaTauri wrote:Yes, the soundpost helps amplify the sound by transmitting vibrations from the bridge to the back of the violin, which (along with the top of the instrument) then vibrates the air inside the body, making it louder than if just the strings were vibrating.

And you should definitely put a soundpost in a cello...string tension is even higher. (I once knocked over the soundpost in a friend's cello by attempting to straighten the bridge, and our immediate reaction - besides "oh ****" - was to loosen the strings all the way because we didn't want the string tension to break the top, even without the bridge in place.) If your cello's solid enough to hold the string tension without a soundpost, kudos to you, but it's probably better to be safe than sorry in this case.
My cello is actually a cellotar (cello/guitar)--there is no real fingerboard, and there's just an aluminum piece at the top to hold the strings up far enough and a string catch at the bottom. There's no curvature so using a bow is impossible, but I use a pick made out of a credit card. But it's not very loud compared to my partner's instrument, so I might want a way to get a sound post in through the sound holes. It seems tricky; is there any simple way to do it?

Return to “2012 Build Events”