Sounds of Music C

nomynameisnotkevin
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by nomynameisnotkevin »

What type of mallet would work best with a metal instrument?
Would using a dowel rod for the handle, bouncy ball (I don't know what size) as the core, and then a little yarn around it work?

Also, does the type/thickness of wood used for the handle matter? (Oak vs. Poplar, etc)
Infinity Flat
Division: Grad
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by Infinity Flat »

nomynameisnotkevin wrote:What type of mallet would work best with a metal instrument?
Would using a dowel rod for the handle, bouncy ball (I don't know what size) as the core, and then a little yarn around it work?

Also, does the type/thickness of wood used for the handle matter? (Oak vs. Poplar, etc)
For a smooth sound like a vibraphone, yarn would be best.
For a brighter sound like a glockenspiel (bells) a harder acrylic/plastic mallet might find some use.

Yes that would work fairly well. The key is finding a fairly soft/squishy bouncy ball for the core. I find ordinary ones to be too hard in my opinion.

For the wood, you want to get it as close to about I'd say 1/4" without it being to breakable. Harder and stronger woods allow for thinner, more agile mallets. Someone suggested using arrow shafts earlier, and that seems like a really great idea to me.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

Return to “2012 Build Events”